Alumni in the News
Our graduates frequently appear in the media. Here are links to stories that feature or cite our alumni; the most recent appear first. For class notes published in Vanderbilt Nurse, please visit the Class Notes page.
- Adrienne Ames, MSN '75 , received the Elizabeth Jacobs Service Award from the Council on Aging, in Nashville, Dec. 2016.
- Julia Sawyers Triplett, BSN '86 , co-authored an article titled "Integrating A Pharmacy Student into the Home Healthcare Setting" in the June 2016 issue of Home Healthcare Now.
- Bo Mistak, MSN '93 , presented "Importance and Impact of the Advanced Practice Leader" in spring 2016 during Vanderbilt University Medical Center's Leadership Excellence in Advanced Practice program.
- Julia Cain Phillippi, MSN '99 , received the March of Dimes Tennessee Chapter Research Nurse of the Year award in Dec. 2016.
- Liz Sharpe, MSN '02 , was re-elected in Oct. 2016 as a director-at-large to the National Association of Neonatal Nurses board of directors. She is an assistant professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing.
- Laura Beth Brown, MSN '04 , was interviewed by the Tennessean and on WBRC in Birmingham for stories about the new Vanderbilt Health OnCall program.
- Bette Moore, PhD '05, was quoted about her research on skin-to-skin contact between mothers and newborns in media such as the Huffington Post , Asia One Health , Jordan Times and the Grand Forks Herald .
- Bette Moore , PhD '05, is a technical advisor for the World Health Organization Guideline Development Group Nutrition Actions sub-committee; she presented to the organization in Florence, Italy, in Nov. 2016.
- Otobong Udoudoh, MSN '06, is a nurse practitioner at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite, where he is with a group of private practice critical care physicians under the umbrella of Pediatrix Medical Group.
- Jill Nelson, MSN '07 , received the March of Dimes Tennessee Chapter Hospice and Palliative Care Nurse of the Year award in Dec. 2016.
- Kanah Lewallen, MSN '09, had a baby girl in Nov. 2016.
- Aaron Scott, MSN '10, successfully defended his DNP project at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and graduated in Dec. 2016. He is on faculty at VUSN and practices at the Clinics of Mercury Courts in Nashville.
- Jie Deng, PhD '10 , was awarded a $789,000 research scholar grant by the American Cancer Society in late 2016 to develop and test a self-care program for cancer survivors diagnosed with secondary lymphedema and fibrosis. She is an assistant professor at VUSN.
- Sharon Holley, DNP '10 , received the March of Dimes Tennessee Chapter Nurse Administrator of the Year award and the VUSN Sara K. Archer award, both in Dec. 2016.
- Kim Allen, MSN '11 , is a pediatric critical care nurse practitioner at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, N.H.
- Natasha McClure, MSN '11 , received the March of Dimes Tennessee Chapter Education Nurse of the Year award in Dec. 2016.
- Therese Jamison, DNP '13 , was recognized in Crain's Detroit Business in Nov. 2016 for her new position as head of the new nursing program at Lawrence Technological University in Southfield, Mich.
- Liz Munoz, MSN '13 , received the March of Dimes Tennessee Chapter Women's Health Nurse of the Year award in Dec. 2016.
- Buffy Lupear, DNP '14 , received the March of Dimes Tennessee Chapter Advanced Practice Nurse of the Year award in Dec. 2016.
- Carole Weddington-Hunt, Post Master's '15 , received the St. Louis March of Dimes Behavioral Health Nurse of the Year award in Nov. 2016.
- Caroline Reid, MSN '16 , and Robert Jones II were married in Dec. 2016, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Ericka Gianotto, MSN '16 , joined Farmington Community Health Center in New Mexico, Nov. 2016, as a nurse practitioner.
- Victoria Morgan, Joanna Jhant, Justin Ellison, Armando Varela, and Will Carpenter, all MSN '16 , co-authored "Practical Guidelines for the Use of Electronic Applications by Advanced Practice Nurses in the Emergency Department," in the Nov. 2016 issue of the Journal of Emergency Nursing.
- Margaret McAvoy Trimpey, MSN '79 , passed away in Dec. 2016, Chattanooga.
- Peter Richards, MSN '01 , passed away in Nov. 2016, Rock Island, Ill.
- Kelly Brown, MSN '09 , passed away in Dec. 2016, Little Rock.
- Richard, husband of Connie Carter Sundermann, BSN '50 , passed away in Dec. 2016, Little Rock.