Vanderbilt University School of Nursing (VUSN) offers a two-year Postdoctoral program that provides fellows with a unique opportunity to advance their research career by:
- Extending knowledge in their research area
- Conducting successful interdisciplinary research projects
- Enhancing writing and communication skills
- Establishing new peer networks
While in the program, fellows may focus their education and research in any of our signatures areas including:
- Acute and Chronic Illnesses
- Cognitive Health and Dysfunction
- Data Science and Innovation
- Innovations in health technologies
- Palliative Care Science
- Pregnancy Outcomes, Mother and Infant Health, and Family Health
Specific topic areas within our signature areas include
- Cancer survivorship issues, psycho-oncology and psychological adjustment in acute/chronic disease
- Outcomes after critical illness, family centered care, advanced practice registered nurse roles and outcomes
- Heart failure and symptom management
- Adverse effects of unhealthy drinking patterns on the cardiovascular system
- Assessment and management of psychological and physiological symptoms
- Design and evaluation of technology-mediated patient assessment and behavior change systems
- Implementation and sustainability of complex, multidisciplinary healthcare interventions to enhance patient safety and quality of care
- Geriatric trauma and management of frailty
- Eliminating health disparities in pregnancy, breastfeeding and infant health
- Models and formats of perinatal care and associated outcomes
- Patterns of normal labor progression among laboring women and use of inflammatory biomarkers as predictors of active labor
Applicants are encourage to visit the Postdoctoral Faculty program page to learn more about individual faculty research areas.
During the two-year program, fellows will work with faculty mentors to develop a semester-by-semester plan of work on their research, acquisition of new knowledge, and writing and communication.
|Research||Acquisition of New Knowledge||Writing and Communication|
Fellows are provided opportunities to:
Fellows are able to:
Fellows are expected to:
Why Choose Vanderbilt?
- Individualized program
- Senior mentors
- Interdisciplinary research opportunities
- Supportive environment
- Generous stipend and salary
The Right Environment
A postdoctoral fellowship at VUSN opens doors to an environment rich with experienced mentors and resources designed to support your growth as a nurse scientist and scholar.
With nearly 500 postdoctoral fellows in the Medical Center, the School of Nursing postdoctoral fellows participate in seminars, programs, special projects, and other activities with Medical Center and University colleagues. Our fellows expand their professional and social contacts and gain a broad understanding of successful strategies used by other postdoctoral fellows to advance their research careers.
The VUSN Office of Research offers an annual stipend of $55,000 plus fringe benefits and $16,500 to support research-related activities such as tuition, travel for meetings, funds for data collection, purchase of data, supplies and equipment.