American Association for Men in Nursing - Middle Tennessee Chapter at Vanderbilt
Recruiting and Retaining Men in Nursing and Promoting Men's Health
The American Assembly for Men in Nursing (AAMN) has started a recruitment initiative to encourage men to enter the nursing profession. The AAMN goal is to have 20% male enrollment in nursing programs throughout the United States and the world by the year 2020. Vanderbilt University School of Nursing fully supports the AAMN male recruitment goal.
2018- 2019 Middle TN Chapter at Vanderbilt Board Members
- President: Matias Massaro
- President-Elect/ Vice President : Andrew Dudley
- Faculty Advisor: Chance Allen, MSW, MSN, APN, PMHNP-BC
The mission of American Assembly for Men in Nursing is to provide a framework for nurses, as a group, to meet, to discuss and influence factors which affect men as nurses. Members of AAMN have a voice in local, state and national events that impact nursing and male nurses. The National Board of Directors, Chapter Leaders and Committee Members are all members of the national Assembly.
Luther Christman, PhD, RN (1915-2011) was the dean at Vanderbilt University, School of Nursing from 1967 to 1972. Dr. Christman was the first male Dean of a collegiate nursing program in the United States. As a leader and visionary in nursing, Dr. Christman founded the American Assembly for Men in Nursing in 1981. In keeping with Dr. Christman’s commitment to strengthen and humanize health care, a chapter of the American Assembly for Men in Nursing was established at Vanderbilt University, School of Nursing in 2011.
- Membership is open to any nurse – male or female – to better facilitate discussion and to meet the most important objective of AAMN – strengthening and humanizing health care.
- Membership in the Assembly is available by application (see below) and elections, and may be provided to Registered Nurses, Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurses, entry level nursing students, and anyone the Board deems worthy of membership.
- AAMN membership is unrestricted by consideration of age, color, creed, handicap, sexual orientation, lifestyle, nationality, race, religion or gender.
- Interested students are encouraged to inquire via email to the chapter president or adviser via email or phone. Each of the chapter’s board members serves a one-year term.
- General: http://aamn.org/
- Membership information: www.aamn.org/membership-information
- Sign up / renew your membership