Networking and Mentorship
Creation of LinkedIn Group
We started a LinkedIn group for current VUSN male students and alumni to connect, network, and share information regarding opportunities and education in the nursing profession.
VUSN Alumni Mentoring Program
- A pilot program created by the VUSN Alumni office pairs current students with VUSN alumni to connect and form a mentor/mentee relationship.
- The goal is to help students learn from experienced providers and help best navigate their early careers.
- There are currently 3 male mentees in the first round of the pilot program, and 10 men interested in being mentors/mentees in the next round.
Alumni Mentoring Program
Interesting facts about mentors
- Mentors graduated between 1977 and 2018.
- One is also a mentor at Stanford.
- One is an author of a Programmed Learning Course entitled “Diabetes in Children.”
- Many mentors are active in Community Health, Public Health, and Family Planning.
- One has a BA in Women and Gender Studies with a concentration in African-American Diaspora studies.
- Several work in ICU, cardiology, or women’s health settings.
- One focuses on weight bias, maternal child health, and health equity.
- One studies sleep medicine and is planning their dissertation in sleep and pediatric oncology.
Interesting facts about mentees
- Mentees expect to graduate before August 2023.
- Several are interested in trauma, primary care, women’s health, or community and global health.
- One is a former Army medical officer with a master’s in health care administration with a focus on health systems and medical tourism.
- Several would like to work with the LGBTQ+ communities or Hispanic communities.