Academic Programs / Specialties
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
Vanderbilt is preparing advanced practice nurses to play a vital role in providing access to health care for people everywhere. We offer an accelerated course of study, multiple entry options, programs for nurses and non-nurses and many opportunities to study without relocating. Choose the advanced practice specialty that suits your interests. Learn More about our MSN Program >
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
Built upon Vanderbilt School of Nursing’s internationally recognized advanced practice nursing programs, the DNP program provides an alternative to a research-focused doctorate with education in evidence-based practice, quality improvement and systems thinking. Our program offers entry with either a BSN or MSN degree. Learn More about our DNP Program >
PhD in Nursing Science
This program prepares scholars for research and teaching careers in major universities. Learn More about our PhD in Nursing Science Program >
These are available in various specialty areas for the nurse practitioner (acute care, adult, family, neonatal, pediatric, family psychiatric-mental health, and women’s health) and in informatics, MSN in healthcare leadership, and nurse-midwifery. Learn More about our Post-Master's Certificates for MSNs >
Our two-year program lets fellows extend knowledge in their research areas, conduct successful interdisciplinary research projects, enhance writing and communication skills and establish new peer networks. Learn More about our Postdoctoral Programs >
Programs of Study
Vanderbilt School of Nursing offers advanced practice nursing specialties to suit varied professional interests and personal learning styles.
Many of our MSN programs offer dual certifications or specialization in certain focus areas. Our faculty are first-rate in each of these areas; they get to know their students one-on-one and provide support whenever it’s needed. Visit the Specialties sites listed below to learn more, meet specialty directors and review sample curriculum plans.
Or, talk with an Admissions counselor to determine those that might be right for your background and career goals. Please visit our Multiple Entry Options to determine the educational background path you will have upon applying.
Advanced Nursing Practice Specialties:
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner *
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner - Hospitalist *
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner - Intensivist *
- Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner *
- Emergency Nurse Practitioner *+
- Family Nurse Practitioner *
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner *+
- Nurse-Midwifery/Family Nurse Practitioner - Dual Focus
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner - Acute Care *+
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner - Primary Care *
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Lifespan) (Lifespan) *
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner - WHNP*
- Women's Health Nurse Practitioner/ Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner - Dual Focus *
*Offered in modified learning (block) format for students who live at a distance.
+ RN experience required. Not available for PreSpecialty entry. Contact admissions office for details.