Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
DNP Executive Leadership Track
The Doctor of Nursing Practice program with an emphasis on executive leadership prepares the expert leader to bring evidence-based knowledge into the practice arena, improve health care outcomes and strengthen the executive nurse leadership role in guiding complex care delivery.
Are you ready to become a key player in today's complex health care environment? Does a scholarly role that translates evidence-based knowledge into healthcare leadership and delivery interest you? Vanderbilt's Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program is built upon our internationally recognized advanced nursing practice programs. With a Vanderbilt DNP degree, you will use nursing and other scientific findings to design sustainable programs of care delivery that are innovative, economically feasible and have significant impact on health care outcomes.
The DNP Executive Leadership track has four entry options:
- Applicant with MSN in Nursing and Health Care Leadership or in Nursing Administration
- Applicant with MSN in other advanced nursing practice specialties
- Applicant with BSN and a Masters in a non-nursing business- or health-related field (MBA, MPH, MHA, MMHC, etc.)
- Applicant with an MSN in Nursing Education must complete additional MSN level courses in Nursing and Healthcare Leadership as part of the DNP program and prior to enrollment in DNP courses, which lengthens the program of studies. A gap analysis is conducted to evaluate completion of graduate level courses in Leadership, Finance and Quality Improvement. Program length is based on the individual gap analysis. After completion of MSN level courses, the student continues in DNP courses.
Applicants to the DNP - EL must be certified or eligible for certification in one of the following:
- American Organization for Nursing Leadership (AONL) Certified in Executive Nursing Practice (CENP)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Nurse Executive (NE-BC)
- American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Nurse Executive, Advanced (NEA-BC)
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE). Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE).
The Vanderbilt School of Nursing DNP in Executive Leadership offers:
- Practice integration tailored to each student's scholarly interests
- Health care agencies/organizations who are practice partners and support applying knowledge and skills from coursework to their practice settings
- Actively practicing faculty who will mentor you in evidence-based knowledge
- Learning built upon Vanderbilt's 100-year history of leadership and excellence in nursing, teaching, practice and research