Doctor of Nursing Practice Program

Roula Dandalides, DNP, MSN, FNP-C

  • Committee Chair Name & Credentials:
    Melissa Davis, DNP, CNM, FNP-BC, FACNM, C-EFM
  • Committee Member Name & Credentials:
    Christopher Ty Williams, DNP, RN, ACNP-BC, FNP-BC, CNE


DNP Project Abstract

Evaluating the use of a Checklist to Improve Antibiotic Stewardship for Urodynamics Studies

Urodynamics studies (UDS) are considered to be a low-risk urological procedure where antibiotic prophylaxis is often not necessary. The Society of Urodynamics, Female Pelvic Medicine, and Urogenital Reconstruction (SUFU) has set forth a best practice policy statement (BPPS) of recommendations for antibiotic use during this procedure. The purpose of this project was to improve antibiotic stewardship for patients undergoing UDS based on the BPPS published by SUFU.

At an outpatient urology clinic, an in-service education for providers was delivered to describe recommendations for antibiotic prophylaxis via PowerPoint presentation. A checklist was then implemented to assist the providers in identifying appropriate individuals who should receive antibiotics. Pre- and post-implementation data was collected and compared to determine if there was an improvement in provider adherence of antibiotic administration based on the BPPS.

A total of 70 charts were included in the project and analyzed using descriptive statistics. The data demonstrated a 37.2% improvement rate in overall antibiotic guideline adherence (57.1% pre- vs 94.3% post-implementation) and a 46.5% improvement rate in administering antibiotics for high-risk individuals (46.4% pre- vs 92.9% post-implementation).

Implications for Practice
This program evaluation provides insights into the effectiveness of providing education and a checklist to help improve appropriate use of antibiotics for UDS. Post-procedure urinary tract infections are the most common-known risk to performing a UDS, making antibiotic prophylaxis a fundamental component of provider planning for the procedure. By utilizing a BPPS, providers can make informed decisions in an effort to promote antibiotic stewardship.