Melissa Lord DNP, RN, CPN, CNE
BioMelissa Lord has 20 years of experience in the nursing profession, including 13 years in nursing education. She is an adult and pediatric acute care clinical and lab instructor in the Pre-Specialty and MN Programs. She is also a seminar leader within the Professional Series courses in the Pre-Specialty Program. She has extensive experience working in the pediatric acute care setting and was previously a nurse educator at Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt. She also serves as a PreSpecialty academic advisor and is the Vice President of the Society of Pediatric (SPN) Nurses Middle TN Chapter.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice: Samford University (Nursing Administration and Nursing Education)
- Belmont University: Master of Science in Nursing (Family Nurse Practitioner)
- Auburn University: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Certified Pediatric Nurse (CPN)
- Certified Nurse Educator (CNE)
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Best practice for clinical instruction
- Implementing EBP teaching/learning strategies in the Fundamentals of Nursing and Pediatric Nursing Curriculum
- Quality Improvement
- Decreasing the rate of opioid related overdoses in the acute time period after release from incarceration, specifically in the rural communities where resources are limited
- Adult Nursing
- Pediatric Nursing
- Legal and ethical accountability in professional nursing practice
- Evidence based practice
- Leadership and management in professional nursing practice
Hunt, J.D., Lord, M., Kapu, A.N., & Buckner, E. (2022). Promoting adaptation in female inmates to reduce risk of opioid overdose post-release through HOPE. Nursing Science Quarterly, 35(4), 455-463. doi: 10.1177/08943184221115123
Weaver, A., Lord, M. M., & Owen, L. A. (2019). Implementing an interactive skills day. Journal of Nursing Education, 58(3), 186. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20190221-13
Hunt, J., & Lord, M. Reducing risk of opioid overdose though implementation of a re-entry program for female inmates prior to release. Poster presentation at Samford University's Evidence-Based Approaches to Nursing Administration, Practice, and Education Issues Conference, Birmingham, AL, May 2019.
Hunt, J., & Lord, M. Reducing risk of opioid overdose though implementation of a re-entry program for female inmates prior to release. Presentation at Healthy Tennessee, Rounds with Dr. Manny, Working Together to Find Solutions to the Opioid Crisis, Manchester, TN, February 2019.
Hunt, J., & Lord, M. Reducing risk of opioid overdose though implementation of a re-entry program for female inmates prior to release. Presentation at Tennessee Department of Health Region Five Meeting, Columbia, TN, January 2019.
Lord, M., & Robbins, H. Mindfulness-based stress reduction: Promoting self-care among nursing students. Poster presentation presented at National Nurse Educator Summit, Orlando, FL, April 2017.
Lord, M., Weaver, A., Galbreath, C., Harris, J., Hicks, J., Owen, L. A., & Andrews, S. Implementation of a pediatric focused skills orientation. Poster presentation presented at National Nurse Educator Summit, Nashville, TN, April 2016.
Hunt, J., & Lord, M. Addressing the opioid crisis in rural communities by engaging incarcerated females in a re-entry program. Poster presentation presented at 45th Biennial Sigma Theta Tau International Convention, Washington, D.C., November 2019
Hunt, J., Lord, M., & Buckner, E. Promoting adaptation in female inmates to reduce risk of opioid overdose post-release though HOPE. Podium presentation presented at Roy Adaptation Association International Conference and Workshops, Los Angeles, CA, June 2019.
- Adult Medical/Surgical Nursing in Acute Care Setting
- Pediatric Medical/Surgical Nursing in Acute Care Setting
- American Nurses Association
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- Society of Pediatric Nursing
- National League for Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Iota Chapter
- Recipient of the Gamma Eta Chapter Sigma Theta Tau International Scholarship Award
- Recipient of the Iota Chapter Sigma Theta Tau International Scholarly Project Award
- Recipient of the Susan Pollock Award for the Roy Adaptation Association's 2019 International Conference and Workshops: 'Adaptation toward Transformation for the Future'. Mount Saint Mary's University, Los Angeles, CA