Maureen Barton MS, CNM, RN
Instructor of Nursing
Maureen is a Certified Nurse Midwife who joined the academic faculty in 2011 as an obstetric clinical instructor in the Pre-specialty level at VUSN. In addition, she is co-founder of a private health care practice of Advanced Practice Nurses established in 2009 by three APNs who believe that optimal health is achieved by nurturing the body and encouraging the spirit. Focus of the practice is on delivering affordable, compassionate family centered care to a diverse population of low and high risk families in a safe, respectful environment. Clients are invited to become active and accountable participants in a research based health care system.
- Certified Nurse Midwife
- ASPO Certified Childbirth Educator
- Master Reiki Therapist
- Obstetrical care and Doula services
- Providing medical management for pregnant patients receiving detox support and rehabilitation for addiction in an inpatient setting.
- Provide Inservice program to medical staff providing detox support to pregnant patients.
- Supervision of Advanced Practice Nursing students offering a variety of maternity and Women's Health experiences.
- Liaison to Certified Professional Midwives in the Nashville area providing collaborative midwifery care and facilitating the transfer of homebirth to hospital birth if indicated.
- Reiki Master encouraging Reiki therapy as an alternative therapeutic tool for self-healing in a family health care practice.
- Advanced Practice nursing students
- ACNM, member 1997-present
- AWHONN, member 1975-present, Intermediate and Advanced Fetal monitoring Instructor 2002-2010
- American Nurses Association, member 1997-present
- Lamaze International/Certified Lamaze Educator since 1972, former Chairperson of Northern Illinois Lamaze Educators, ASPO Lamaze Board Member