Kathryn Hislop PhD, FNP-BC, ACHPN, HSMI
Assistant Professor in Nursing
Dr. Kathi Hislop is an Assistant Professor of nursing at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing and is advanced practice certified in hospice and palliative nursing. Dr. Hislop received her BSN from Oregon Health Sciences University and her MSN and PhD from Arizona State University.
Her research interests are cognitive schema development for family caregivers in new experiences, especially caring for hospice patients and loved ones in nursing homes. Dr. Hislop is a board certified family nurse practitioner with advance practice certification in hospice and palliative nursing.
She has worked in a variety of settings, including long-term care, hospice, home-bound elder programs hospital palliative care service and has cared for home bound patients for more than 15 years.
Dr. Hislop leads the Palliative Care Post Master's Certificate program at VUSN as well as guest lectures on a variety of topics within Palliative and End-of-Life care. Prior to coming to VUSN in 2011, Dr. Hislop worked with the Alzheimer's Association, Desert Southwest Chapter, as lead editor for chapters on Caregiving and the Continuum of Grief, and as co-author for Dressing & Grooming in Palliative Care for Advanced Alzheimer's and Dementia: Guidelines and Standards for Evidence-Based Care (2011).
In addition, Dr. Hislop has been an ELNEC (End of Life Nursing Education Consortium) trainer since 2006 at the Core level, Geriatrics, Pediatrics and most recently at the APRN and DNP levels.
In 2013, she worked with VUMC to educate the staff on the new designated Palliative Care unit in the Medical Center. Dr. Hislop has spoken and presented posters at multiple conferences and in the community on palliative and end-of-life care.
- PhD, Arizona State University
- MSN, Arizona State University (Family Nurse Practitioner)
- BSN, Oregon Health and Science University
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Family Caregivers in Palliative and Hospice Care
- Healthcare Professional Self-care
- Reflective Practice
- Online Teaching and Learning in Palliative and Hospice Care
- Community Health Nursing
- Palliative Care Courses for DNP and MSN students
- House Calls Clinical Practice to Home Bound Patients, Wilson County, TN
- Hospice and Palliative Nursing Association
- Hospice and Palliative Nursing Association, TN chapter
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Secretary, 2012-Present
- American Nurses Association
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing ? Iota Chapter
- National League for Nursing