Welcome to Open House
Thanks for stopping by our Open House web page to connect with everything you need to know for attending this event. Follow the links from this page to more detailed information, and then register online by 4:00 pm on March 1st for the Open House. We look forward to seeing you on March 2, 2019.
Open House Agenda
The agenda given below is tentative. A more detailed agenda will be provided at registration. Check in just inside the main entrance. Enter through the limestone arch labeled School of Nursing, 461 21st Avenue South, Nashville, TN 37240. Complimentary parking is provided at the Wesley Place garage across the street from the School of Nursing. Additional parking information is provided below
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) and Post-Master's Certificate (PMC) Programs
You should attend this session if you are interested in the Master of Science Nursing degree or Post-master's certificate program.
MSN and Post-Master's Certificate Programs Schedule
|8:30 – 9:00||Registration and Continental Breakfast|
|9:00 – 9:25||Welcome: Dean Linda Norman, DNP, RN, FAAN|
|9:25 – 10:20||Career Opportunities in Advanced Practice Nursing|
|10:20 – 10:40||BREAK|
|10:40 – 11:40||Financial Aid and Student Panel Sessions|
|11:40 – 12:50||Application and Admissions Process. All prospective MSN and post-master's certificate students will attend this working lunch session based on their entry type. Lunch is provided.|
|1:00 – 3:15||
Meet in Small Groups with MSN/PMC Specialty Directors
|2:30 – 3:15||
» Doctor of Nursing Practice info session
|2:00, 2:45 or 3:30||Tour of Vanderbilt University Medical Center (wear comfortable shoes)|
|2:30 or 3:00||Tour of Simulation and Skills Lab|
Doctor of Nursing Practice
You should attend this session if you (1) have a master’s of science in nursing (2) are enrolled in a master’s degree in nursing program (or in a related field) or (3) are the guest of a prospective DNP student.
|8:30 – 9:00||Registration and Continental Breakfast|
|9:10– 9:25||Overview of doctoral education in nursing: DNP and PhD.|
|9:25 – 9:45||
Welcome: Dean Linda Norman, DSN, RN, FAAN
|9:45 –10:25||Financing your DNP Education, Kristie L. Smith, M.Ed., Director, Student Financial Services|
|10:25 – 10:45||BREAK|
|10:45 – 11:50||
DNP In-Depth: Understanding the Practice Doctorate. Dr. Karen Hande & DNP Student Panel
|11:40 – 11:50||Pick up box lunch. You have the option to either adjourn at 11:40 or if you plan to pursue another advanced certification as part of DNP program ,proceed to specialty session starting at 1:00 .|
|1:00 –1:45||Optional Advanced Practice Specialty Sessions for applicants interested in a post-master's certificate (see MSN schedule)|
|2:00||Optional tour of Vanderbilt Medical Center departs from Student Lounge (first floor Frist Hall). Wear comfortable shoes|
Travel Information Directions and Accommodations
General Travel Information: Nashville is in the Central time Zone, so if necessary be sure to adjust your watch and your travel plans to accommodate a time change.
By Air: The Nashville International Airport is located approximately eight miles southeast of downtown Nashville and is off Interstate 40. The Airport Welcome Center can assist you with transportation information and details about Nashville. Call 615-275-1674.
Ground Transportation: Nashville airport offers a variety of transportation options. Please view the following website for detailed information: http://www.flynashville.com/ground-transportation/Pages/default.aspx
Taxi/Rideshare Service: There are several services that run 24 hours a day from Nashville International Airport. The average fare is $24-26 per one-way trip to downtown or the Vanderbilt University area.
By Car to Vanderbilt University:
- Traveling South – take I-65 South to I-40 East to exit 209B. Turn right on Broadway. Broadway merges into 21st Avenue. School of Nursing is at 461 21st Avenue South.
- Traveling West or North – take I-40 West to exit 209A. Turn left on Broadway. Broadway merges into 21st Avenue. School of Nursing is at 461 21st Avenue South.
- Traveling East – take I-40 East to exit 209B. Turn right on Broadway. Broadway merges into 21st Avenue. School of Nursing is at 461 21st Avenue South.
Get driving directions to Parking Garage.
Parking: Wesley Place Parking Garage at 2043 Scarritt Place, Nashville, TN 37203. When approaching the School of Nursing on 21st Avenue, turn left on Scarritt Place. Parking deck is on the right. Enter though the second entrance. There is no charge to park on floors 4 and 5 for this event only. Please note that cars parked in any unauthorized area on campus may be towed or ticketed.
Campus Location: Follow School of Nursing Open House signage
Accommodations in close proximity to the School of Nursing:
- Embassy Suites at Vanderbilt, 1811 Broadway. 615-320-8899 (complimentary shuttle to campus)
- Home2 Suites by Hilton, 1800 Division St. 615-254-2170 (complimentary shuttle to campus)
- Hampton Inn Vanderbilt West End, 1919 West End Avenue. 615-329-1144 (complimentary shuttle to campus
- Hampton Inn & Suites Vanderbilt 2330 Elliston Place (5 blocks to School of Nursing) 615-320-6060The Guest House at the MedCenter Inn, 1909 Hayes Street. 615-329-1000 (complimentary shuttle to campus)
- Homewood Suites Nashville Vanderbilt, 2400 West End Avenue. 615-340-8000 (walk to campus & complimentary shuttle service)
- Holiday Inn Vanderbilt, 2613 West End Avenue. 615-327-4707 (complimentary shuttle service)
- Loews Vanderbilt Plaza, 2100 West End Avenue. 615-320-1700.
- Scarritt-Bennett Center, 1008 19th Av S. 615-340-7500 (0.2 mile walk to School of Nursing)
Important – Application Information
The priority review date for Fall 2019 MSN and post-master's certificate applications was November 1st. The priority review date for DNP and PhD applications was January 15th. Fall 2019 applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the programs are full. The Fall 2020 application will not be available until September 15, 2019.
The TOEFL or IELTS is required for MSN and post-master’s certificate applicants who do not have a degree from an English-speaking university.
If you have questions, please contact the School of Nursing Admissions Office by phone at 615-322-3800 or 888-333-9192 (toll free) or e-mail: VUSN-Admissions@vanderbilt.edu