This article explains how to edit the syllabus template in the course map application.
For a video overview click here.
Understanding the floating menu bar
- Click on the name of a syllabus section to jump directly to that section
- : Save your work
- : Reset any changes you’ve made
- : Return to the main Course Map page
- : Export syllabus to PDF
- : Jump to the bottom of the page
- : Jump to the top of the page
Check for correctness of:
- the semester and year
- the academic program, level, and specialty (if applicable)
TIP:If the information listed is incorrect, scroll up to the Course Versions section and click the edit icon:
- Check the pre/co-requisites and course description for correctness. If changes are needed, please contact the appropriate curriculum committee.
- Add a separate statement regarding how course builds on pre-requisite knowledge (copy and paste from another file or type directly in the form)
Check the AACN Essentials. If the essentials are not listed, or are listed incorrectly, please download and complete the appropriate Objectives Alignment form below, and send to the Instructional Design team.
- MSN courses should see the NONPF Statement, and Nurse Midwifery courses should see the the ACNM Statement. If the ACNM statement is missing but required, please edit the course version to include Nurse Midwifery as the specialty. (See tip in Step 1 for directions.)
- If applicable, check that the NONPF Competencies addressed in the course are listed correctly. If the competencies listed are incorrect, please make the necessary edits within the HTML box.
- Check that any other statements needed for the course are listed and correct. Any changes can be edited directly in the HTML box.
Enter or edit the credit hour breakdown. Please note that the total credits must equal the number of credits listed in the catalog.
- Enter any information you want students to know regarding the course delivery, class dates/times, room numbers, etc.
- Enter dates for First and Last Day of class, and/or Final Exam/Course Work. You may type the dates or use the calendar feature.
TIP: In order to save or print the syllabus, dates for the First and Last day of class dates must be entered.
Check that the course faculty listed are correct.
- To edit faculty name or role click the icon OR click the icon to delete
- To add additional faculty click
Check that the course objectives listed are correct. If changes are needed, please contact the appropriate curriculum committee.
Add or edit content for Learning Experiences, Required Learning Resources, Rules and Regulations, Attendance Policy, Policy on Late work and Incompletes, and any other Honor Code, Conduct Code, or Social Media Policy statements applicable to this course.
NOTE: The information stated in numbers 4, 5, and 6 of the Rules and Regulations section cannot be edited.
- Add or edit information for Methods of Student Evaluation
- Check that assignments listed in table are correct.
- To edit an assignment click the icon OR click the icon to delete
- To add an additional assessment click
+Add Course Assessment
Most courses will use the standard VUSN grading scale; however, if your course uses a custom grading scale, click on the toggle to cut and paste the appropriate grading scale.
Step 12 – Optional
Add or edit a Topical Outline by either copying and pasting from an existing document or typing directly into the HTML box.
You can also add the Topical Outline and other appendices in the binding process step 14
When your syllabus is complete:
Saveto save all changes
Resetto discard any changes
Cancelto return to the main Course Map page
Print Previewto print a copy of the syllabus (optional)
Export to PDFto create a PDF version of the syllabus. After clicking this button, the file will be listed under Syllabus Appendices and will be automatically be added to your Course Portfolio
- Click the icon to open and download a copy of the syllabus to your computer. Post this downloaded copy to your Brightspace course.
- To delete a syllabus file, click OR select multiple files to delete and click
Delete Selected Files
After you download your syllabus you can combine multiple documents including your appendices and topical outline by using Adobe Acrobat.
Click here for instructions on how to combine multiple files.