PhD in Nursing Science Program
Our program is designed for students with a bachelor's degree in nursing (or BSN equivalent) and a master's degree in nursing (or a related field) or a doctoral degree in nursing (or a related field).
Admission is competitive. Students are selected on the basis of their scholastic preparation and intellectual capability. Admission to our program requires research and career goals that are consistent with the school's research foci and faculty expertise. We will only accept you if we have the faculty who are actively engaged in your area of research.
- Completion of a course of study equivalent to that required for the bachelor's degree in nursing at an accredited institution, with a minimum of a B average in undergraduate work
- Completion of a course of study equivalent to that required for the master's degree in nursing (or a related field), with a minimum of a B average in graduate work
- Having maintained a B average in the field of expected graduate concentration
Vanderbilt University is a participating institution in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). North Carolina is a member of SARA, and Vanderbilt is approved to offer programs and courses, such as the MSN, PMC, DNP and PhD programs, that are in compliance with SARA policies and standards.
Program Delivery and Participation Requirements
In addition, the following program delivery and participation requirements are expected of all students in our program:
- Attend in-person all block intensives for the first two years in the program. In-person block intensives occur three times per academic year for no more than 20 days total (4-5 days each time). We do not offer financial assistance for travel expenses to block intensives.
- Meet all program computer and technology requirements. This information will be posted on our Website for new students over the summer.
- Participate in weekly synchronous (i.e., at a scheduled time) classes. The program is currently using Zoom for class instruction.
- Be able to access all Websites and library resources in the United States of America to successfully complete course and dissertation work.
PhD Webinar Schedule for 2021-2022
Our webinars include information concerning overview of the PhD in Nursing Science Program, program format, application process and components and funding. The next webinar is Thursday, September 30 at 12:00 pm CST; RSVP.