Tamika Hudson DNP, APRN, FNP-C
Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Dr. Tamika Hudson is the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and an Assistant Professor in Nursing at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing. In her administrative role, she assists students with student life and non-academic needs, and is the primary liaison for campus resources at the School of Nursing. As a faculty member, she engages students in content related to social determinants of health and supports Doctor of Nursing Practice students in the planning and execution of scholarly evidence-based practice projects. Dr. Hudson is a Certified Family Nurse Practitioner with clinical experience in primary care, dermatology, and substance use disorder management.
Dr. Hudson is a leader in diversity, equity, and inclusion. She is passionate about lessening health disparities and increasing health equity within underrepresented communities. She is a facilitator of poverty simulated experiential learning activities for faculty, staff, and students (nursing and medical) and program manager of the Morehouse Undergraduate Health Science Academy at VUSN.
- DNP, Samford University (Nurse Educator)
- MSN, Vanderbilt University (Family Nurse Practitioner)
- BS, Tennessee State University (Psychology)
- Certified Family Nurse Practitioner (American Academy of Nurse Practitioners)
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Social Determinants of Health
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Student Support and Mentorship
- Substance Use Disorders
Hudson, T. (2021). The role of social determinants of health in discharge practices. Nursing Clinics of North America (in production). doi:10.1016/j.cnur.2021.04.004.
Hudson, T. Steed, J., Parker, S., Johnson, R., & Norman, L. (2021). Creating collaborative relationships with historically Black colleges and universities: An approach to diversify the nursing workforce. Nurse Educator, published ahead of print. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000001023
Hudson, T. (2020). Vulnerable patient populations: The role of nurse resilience. National Black Nurses Association News.
Starks, J. & Hudson, T. (2020). STI prevalence in the United States and the relationship to social determinants of health. Nursing Clinics of North America, 55 (5), 283-293. doi: 10.1016/j.cnur.2020.05.001.
+Pitts, C., Hudson, T., Reeves, G., Christenbery, T., & Johnson, R. (2019). Writing a diversity and inclusivity statement: Guidelines for nursing programs and faculty. Nurse Educator, Volume Publish Ahead of Print. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000754
Hudson, T., Christenbery, T., Pitts, C., Reeves, G., & Johnson, R. (2020). Connecting with Readers Through Diversity, Inclusivity, and Equity, International Academy of Nursing Editors, Nashville, TN, Workshop, Accepted. August 2, 2021.
Andrews, S. & Hudson, T. (2020). Leading the Way: Creating a Healthy Work Environment in
Nursing Academia, Sigma Theta Tau's 31st International Nursing Research Congress, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (Virtual), Podium Presentation, July 23, 2020.
Hudson, T. Distress Tolerance: An Intervention for Women in Recovery for Substance Use
Disorders, Tennessee Nurses Association Joint Conference, Murfreesboro, TN, Podium Presentation. October 27, 2018.
Hudson, T. Distress Tolerance: A Practical Intervention for Patients with Substance Use
Disorders, International Nurses Society on Addictions 42nd Annual Educational Conference, Denver Colorado, Podium Presentation. October 4, 2018.
Hudson, T. Evaluation of Distress Tolerance and Treatment Retention in Women with
Substance Use Disorders. Drug and Alcohol Nurses of Australasia 2018 Conference, Melbourne, Australia, Podium Presentation, Accepted. July 26, 2018.
Tapp, J. & Hudson, T. Prevalence on the Rise: The Impact of Social Determinants of Health on
STIs, National Nurse Practitioner Symposium, Keystone, CO. July 9-11, 2021.
Hudson, T. The Development of an E-Learning Platform to Promote Civility and Cultural
Humility in the Learning Environment, Health Resources and Services Administration Grantees Summit, Virtual, June 17, 2021.
Hilmes, M., Stefko, D., Hudson, T., Waynick-Rogers, P. & Cole, S. Adaptations of
Interprofessional Curriculum to the Remote Learning Environment and Lessons Learned, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN, Poster Presentation. December 11, 2020
Hudson, T. Distress Tolerance in Women Treated for Substance Use Disorders, Samford University, Birmingham, AL. May 3, 2018.
NASPA Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education, 2020 Conference Content Reviewer
- American Nurses Association
- NASPA Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- National League for Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- Association of Vanderbilt Black Faculty and Staff, Vice President, 2021
- Vanderbilt University Faculty Senator, 2021
- Healthy Nashville Leadership Council, Mayoral Appointment, 2021
- Hospital Advisory Board, Mayoral Appointment, 2021
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, Diversity Committee, 2021
- The American Association of Colleges of Nurses, Diversity Leadership Institute, 2021
- Vanderbilt University Leadership Academy, Vanderbilt University (10th Cohort), Office of the Chancellor, 2021
- Association of Vanderbilt Black Faculty and Staff, Historian, 2020
- Dean's Award for Faculty Achievement in Diversity and Inclusion, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, 2020
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Service, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2020
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society Recipient, Samford University, 2018
- Lucille Stewart Beeson Nursing Award, Samford University, 2017
- Nashville's Top Black 40 Under 40 Award Recipient, Stay on the Go Magazine, 2015