Susan (Susie) M. Adams PhD, PMHNP-BC, FAANP, FAAN
Professor of Nursing
Faculty Scholar for Community Engaged Behavioral Health
After directing VUSN's Psychiatric Mental Health Program for almost two decades, Dr. Adams transitioned to the newly created position of Faculty Scholar for Community Engaged Behavioral Health in 2014. In this position she mentors faculty and students in evaluation of evidence based health practices, program outcomes, and dissemination of findings. Dr. Adams' current research concerns include trauma-informed intervention strategies to reduce alcohol and drug related problems for individuals and families through professional education and integrated models of primary care and behavioral health care delivery. Dr. Adams influences mental health policy and APRN education through service on national expert panels and boards, including American Psychiatric Nurses Association Board Member (2012-2014) and Office of President (2014-2016), the Institute of Medicine Committee 2015 report on Psychosocial Interventions for Mental and Substance Use Disorders: A Framework for Establishing Evidence-Based Standards, the 2016 Criteria for Evaluation of Nurse Practitioner Programs, 5th Edition: A Report of the National Task Force on Quality Nurse Practitioner Education, and the APRN Competency Based Education Work Group (currently convening 2016-2017) sponsored by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing.
- PhD, University of Kentucky
- Post Masters Certificate, Vanderbilt University (PMHNP Lifespan)
- MSN, University of California, San Francisco
- BSN, Valparaiso University
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Lifespan)
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Trauma-informed intervention strategies to reduce alcohol and drug related problems for individuals and families
- Integrated models of primary care and behavioral health care delivery
- SBIRT training for health and health-care related professions (Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment for Alcohol and Substance Abuse)
- MSN PMHNP Student Supervision
- DNP Student Advising
- Guest lectures on mental health and substance abuse across specialties and programs
- Meharry SBIRT Training Grant -- directing and evaluating SBIRT initiative at VUSN
- Center of Excellence, Department of Child/Adolescent Psychiatry, State of Tennessee -- Child Protective Services Training Academy
- Vanderbilt Department of Psychiatry, Addictions Medicine collaboration with JourneyPure medical detox and recovery services
- Partnership with The Next Door implementing continuous quality improvement and program evaluation
Subaward Meharry SBIRT Training Grant (2015-2018) -- Co-Director overseeing integration and evaluation of SBIRT education initiative across VUSN prespecialty and specialty year programs.
Subaward Tennessee Department of Mental Health, Center of Excellence, Department of Child/Adolescent Psychiatry at VUMC, Child Protective Services Academy (2015-2018) -- Faculty team teaching SBIRT, Faculty teaching mental health & recovery overview, psychopharmacology overview.
Subaward Meharry-Vanderbilt Community Engaged Research Core (2014-2018) -- Faculty representing community engagement for VUSN.
Adams, S.M. & Black, P. (2016). American Psychiatric Nurses Association---Transitions in Practice
certificate program: Bridging the knowledge gap in caring for psychiatric patients within the general nursing workforce. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 40, 225-236. Doi: 10.1097/NAQ.0000000000000168.
Adams, S. (2016). Collaborating in an evolving health care system: Opportunities for
redesigning health care delivery. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 22, 62-69. Doi: 10.1177/1078390316629151.
Adams, S. (2015). Mental health care policy: Claiming our seats at the table. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 21, 428-430. Doi: 10.1177/1078390315621553.
Adams, S. (2015). The IOM report on Psychosocial Interventions for Mental and Substance Use Disorders: Opportunities for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses. Journal of the American
Psychiatric Nurses Association, 21, 1-5. Doi:10.1177/1078390315606107.
Adams, S. (2015). APNA's Transitions in Practice (ATP) certificate program: Building and supporting the psychiatric nursing workforce. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses
Association, 21, 279-283. Doi:10.1177/1078390315599169.
Adams, S. (2015). APNA's suicide competencies for inpatient psychiatric nurses: "Saving lives...one at a time." Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 21, 175-179. Doi:10.1177/1078390315588286.
Hudson, C.C., Adams, S., & Lauderdale, J. (2015). Cultural expressions of intergenerational
trauma and mental health nursing implications for U.S. health care delivery following refugee resettlement: An integrative review of the literature. Journal of Transcultural Nursing. Published online before print May 25, 2015, Doi: 10.1177/1043659615587591.
Adams, S. (2015). An organizational seat at the table: Advocacy based on science and education. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 21, 111-113. Doi: 10.1177/1078390315577202
Adams, S. (2015). Psychiatric mental health nursing: "A seat at the table." Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 21, 34-37. Doi: 10.1177/10783903145645.
Bernet, A., Warren, C., & Adams, S.M. (2015). Using a community-based participatory research approach to evaluate resident predictors of involuntary exits from permanent supportive housing: A retrospective observational inquiry using community-derived data. Evaluation and Program Planning, 49, 63-69. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2014.11.011.
Choi, S., Adams, S.M., Morse, S., & Macmaster, S. (2015). Gender differences in treatment retention among individuals with co-occurring substance abuse and mental health disorders. Journal of Substance Use and Misuse, 50, 653-663. Doi:10.3109/10826084.2014.997828.
Abanes, J. J. & Adams, S. (2014). Using a web-based patient-provider messaging system to enhance patient satisfaction among active duty sailors and marines seen in the psychiatric outpatient clinic: A pilot study. Nursing Clinics of North America, 49, 91-103. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cnur.2013.11.005.
Zoorob, R.J., Durkin, K.M., Gonzalez, S.J., & Adams, S. (2014). Training nurses and student nurses about prevention, diagnoses and treatment of fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Nurse Education in Practice. 14(4):338-44. doi: 10.1016/j.nepr.2013.11.009. Epub 2013 Dec 21.
Rasch, R.F.R, Davidson, D., Seiters, J., Macmaster, S.A., Adams, S., Darby, K., & Cooper, R.L. (2013). Integrated recovery management model for ex-offenders with co-occurring mental health and substance use disorders and high rates of HIV risk behaviors. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 24, 438-448.
Choi, S., Adams, S.M., Macmaster, S., & Seiters, J. (2013). Predictors of residential treatment retention among individuals with co-occurring substance abuse and mental health disorders. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 42(2), 122-131.
Adams, S. M. (2017). Psychiatric complications in the postpartum period. In D. J. Angelini and D. LaFontaine (eds.) Obstetric triage and emergency care protocols, 2nd ed., (in press).
Adams, S. M. (2015). Identifying research questions. In N. Schmidt and J. Brown (eds.) Evidenced based practice for nurses: Appraisal and application of research, 3nd ed., (pp. 70-93). Philadelphia, PA: Jones & Bartlett Publishers, Inc.
Adams, S. M. & Antai-Otong, D. (2014). Psychotherapeutic approaches for addictions and related disorders. In Kathleen Wheeler (ed.) Psychotherapy for Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses, 2nd ed.., (pp. 565-596). New York, NY: Spring Publishing Company
Adams, S.M. (2016). Mental Health Series for Nurse Practitioners: "Improving the Management of Depression in Primary Care: Insights into Diagnosis and Treatment." Online interactive multi-media produced by MCM Education, sponsored by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
Jackson, W.C., Thase, M., & Adams, S. (2015). CME Roundtable Panel: Multidisciplinary Management of Bipolar Disorder: Accelerating Diagnosis, Achieving Remission, and Encouraging Adherence. Online CME module produced by Integritas Communications Group, Research Updates, 1/21/15.
Adams, S.M. (2015). "Managing Mental Health: A Comprehensive Curriculum for Nurse Practitioners / Schizophrenia." Online interactive multi-media case produced by the France Foundation, sponsored by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
- Private practice -- Susie Adams, PhD, PMHNP-BC -- Women & Family Mental Health Services, Brentwood, TN
- JourneyPure, Murfreesboro, TN in collaboration with Vanderbilt Addiction Medicine Services
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners: Fellow - Inducted 2008
- American Nurses Association / Tennessee Nurses Association
- American Nurses Credentialing Center - Invited item-writer for initial PMHNP Exam; Instructor for PMHNP Review Seminars, 2006-present
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association: Board of Directors - Member at Large 2011-2013; President-Elect 2013-2014; President 2014-2015; Immediate Past President 2015-2016
- Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse: Executive Board, Member at Large 2011-2014l; National Conference Planning Committee, Chair-Elect 2010, Chair 2011
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties - Chair Psych Special Interest Group 2009-2010
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing, 2015
- Sarah K. Archer Award for Outstanding Contributions to Student Learning Experience -- Vanderbilt University, 2015
- Huegli Address - Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, IN, 2014
- Top 15 Psychiatric NP Professors - NP Education Blog, 2014
- Nashville, March of Dimes Nurse of the Year, Graduate Nursing Education, 2011
- International Nurses Society on Addictions, Excellence in Education, 2009
- Fellow in the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 2008
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association Excellence in Nursing Education, 2008
- Vanderbilt University School of Nursing Centennial "100 Leaders" 2008