Megan Simmons DNP, PMHNP-BC
Dr. Simmons joined the Vanderbilt University School of Nursing faculty in 2013. She has been a board certified Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) since 2005 when she graduated from Vanderbilt?s MSN program.
Since 2006, Dr. Simmons has practiced as a consultant in long-term care facilities providing psychiatric assessment and medication management services.
She obtained her DNP from Vanderbilt University in 2013, and her scholarly project assessed the off-label usage of antipsychotic medications in Middle Tennessee nursing homes.
Dr. Simmons is active in multiple professional organizations, and serves as the chair of the Geropsych Focus Group within the Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association.
Her current research interests include geriatric psychopharmacology, mental health care of older adults and long-term care residents, and treating behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia.
- Post Masters in Nursing, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing (Family PMH)
- DNP, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing (Nursing Practice Research)
- MSN, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing (Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner)
- BA, Elon University
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Geriatric psychopharmacology
- Mental health care of older adults and long-term care residents
- Treating behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia
- Clinical supervision of PMHNP students
- Assessment of off-label usage of antipsychotics in Middle Tennessee nursing homes
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association, Geropsych Focus Group chairperson, 2013-Present
- American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nurses Association
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Iota Chapter
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- Middle Tennessee Behavioral Health Nurse of the Year Award - March of Dimes, 2014