Mary A. Jessee PhD, RN
Director, Prespecialty Level
Assistant Professor of Nursing
BioMary Ann Jessee joined the Vanderbilt University School of Nursing faculty in 2003 with a background in medical surgical and neurosurgical intensive care nursing practice. Her research focuses on how the learning environment, including the clinical environment and curricular implementation strategies, influences the development of clinical reasoning in pre-licensure nursing students. As the Prespecialty Level Director, she supports a learning environment that promotes student development of clinical reasoning through innovative and challenging learning experiences designed to develop the knowledge, skill, and attitudes essential for the future of nursing practice.
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Theoretical support of pre-licensure clinical learning
- Improvement of the pre-licensure clinical learning environment
- Enhancement of clinical reasoning in pre-licensure nursing students
Jessee, M.A. (2018). Pursuing improvement in clinical reasoning: The integrated clinical education theory. Journal of Nursing Education, 57(1): 7-13.
Jessee, M.A. (2016). Influences of sociocultural factors within the clinical learning environment on students? perceptions of learning: An integrative review. Journal of Professional Nursing, 32(6): 463-486.
Jessee, M.A., Tanner, C.A. (2016). Pursuing improvement in clinical reasoning: Development of the clinical coaching interactions inventory. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(9): 495-504.
- Adult medical/surgical and neurosurgical intensive care
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Iota Chapter
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- American Nursing Association
- Christine A. Tanner Scholarly Teaching Award for Journal Article of the Year Pursuing improvement in clinical reasoning: The integrated clinical education theory. SLACK, Incorporated, publisher of the Journal of Nursing Education, 2018
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Academics, 2013
- Sarah K. Archer Award for Outstanding Contributions in Teaching, Scholarliness, and Faculty-Student Relations, 2013
- Sarah K. Archer Award for Outstanding Contributions in Teaching, Scholarliness, and Faculty-Student Relations, 2012
- Sarah K. Archer Award for Outstanding Contributions in Teaching, Scholarliness, and Faculty-Student Relations, 2011
- Shirley K. Titus Award for Outstanding Contributions to Pre-specialty Classroom Teaching, 2009
- Innovation in Teaching in Nursing Skills Lab, 2008