Mariann R. Piano PhD, RN, FAAN, FAHA
Nancy and Hilliard Travis Professor of Nursing
Senior Associate Dean for Research, Postdoctoral Fellowship Director
Dr. Piano has a distinguished career in substance abuse research focusing on understanding the adverse effects of unhealthy alcohol drinking patterns on the cardiovascular system. Studies are underway to determine the effects of binge drinking on cardiovascular function and risk factors in young adults. Young adulthood is when binge drinking is the highest and currently, more young adults consume 6-7 drinks per binge drinking episode, black out and choose hard liquor over beer. Compared to previous generations, the pervasiveness, intensity (i.e., 6-7 drinks) and regularity (several times per week) of binge drinking may place today's youth at greater risk for more profound rates of alcohol-related harm. Another area of research includes heart failure pathophysiology, symptoms and patient self-management. In particular, her research has focused on strategies (e.g. diuretic self-adjustment) to prevent frequent hospital admissions in heart failure patients and to identify mechanisms that underlie heart failure symptoms. Her research has been supported by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism and the National Center for Research Resources. She also holds the title of Professor Emerita at the University of Illinois at Chicago where she was Collegiate Professor of Nursing.
Learn about why alcohol consumption and COVID-19 do not mix: "COVID-19 and alcohol consumption"
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Rush University
- PhD, University of Illinois (Nursing Science)
- MS, University of Illinois (Medical-Surgical Nursing)
- BS, Loyola University of Chicago (Nursing)
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Adverse effects of alcohol on the cardiovascular system and biomarkers of unhealthy alcohol consumption.
Dr. Piano's primary teaching expertise and experience is in the area of physiology, pathophysiology and cardiovascular nursing. Areas of physiology expertise include: signal transduction, smooth muscle, skeletal and cardiac muscle, and gastrointestinal physiology. Within the area of cardiovascular nursing, her areas of expertise include: heart failure and alcoholic cardiomyopathy.
- The effects of binge drinking on cardiovascular function and risk factors in young adults.
- Biomarkers of heavy alcohol consumption.
Piano, M.R. (co-PI), Phillips SA (co-PI). Cardiovascular risk associated with binge drinking in young adults. March 2017 - Feb 2020 (R21AA024535).
Hwang CL, Phillips SA, Tu MH, Piano M.R. Time to Promote the Awareness of Unhealthy Alcohol Use Among Women. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2022 Jan;31(1):1-3. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2021.0546. Epub 2021 Dec 17. PMID: 34935470.
Hwang, C-L, Phillips, S.A., Piano, M.R. The effects of alcohol consumption on flow-mediated dilation in humans: A Systematic Review. Physiologic Reports.2021 May;9(10): e14872. doi: 10.14814/phy2.14872.PMID:34042304.
Mogos, M.F., Salemi, J.L., Modak, S., Zoorub R.J., Piano, M.R. Hospital- and patient-level characteristics associated with unplanned readmissions and in-patient mortality in men and women with alcoholic cardiomyopathy. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2021 Mar;82(2):257-268.PMID:33823973.
Hahn, J.A., Murnane, P.M., Vittinghoff, E., Muyindike, W.R., Emenyonu, N.I., Fatch, R., Chamie G, Haberer J.E., Francis, J.M., Kapiga, S., Jacobson, K., Myers, B., Couture, M.C., DiClemente, R.J., Brown, J.L., So-Armah K., Sulkowski, M., Marcus, G.M., Woolf-King, S., Cook, R.L., Richards, V.L., Molina, P., Ferguson, T., Welsh, D.,Piano, M.R,, Phillips, S.A., Stewart, S., Afshar, M., Page, K., McGinnis, K., Fiellin, D.A., Justice, A.C., Bryant, K., Saitz, R. Factors associated with phosphatidylethanol (PEth) sensitivity for detecting unhealthy alcohol use: An individual patient data meta-analysis. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2021 Apr 10. doi: 10.1111/acer.14611. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33837975.
Briller, J.E., Mogos, M.F., Muchira, J.M.,Piano, M.R. Pregnancy Associated Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction (HFpEF): An Emerging Concern. Journal of Cardiac Failure.2021 Feb;27(2):143-152.
Giordano, N.A., Compton, P., Joseph, P.V., Romano, C.A.,Piano, M.R., Naylor, M.D. Opportunities and Challenges Presented by Recent Pedagogical Innovations in Doctoral Nursing Education. Journal of Professional Nursing.2021 Jan-Feb;37(1):228-234. Epub 2020 Sep 2. PMID: 33674100.
Muchira, J., Gona, P., Mogos, M., Stuart-Shor, E., Leveille, S.,Piano, M.R., Hayman, L. L. Parental Cardiovascular Health Predicts Time to Onset of Cardiovascular Disease in Offspring. European Journal of Preventive Cardiology),2020 Nov 5. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33624039.
Page, R., Allen L., Morris A.,Piano, M.R., Kloner R, Marte; C., Rana, J.S. Medical Marijuana, Recreational Cannabis, and Cardiovascular Health: A Scientific Statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation.2020 Sep 8;142(10):e131-e152. Epub 2020 Aug 5. PMID:32752884
Muchira, J.M., Gona, P.., Mogos, M.F., Stuart-Shor, E., Leveille S.G.,Piano, M.R.,Hayman, L.L. Trends and Familial Clustering of Ideal Cardiovascular Health in Parent and Offspring at Similar Age Periods Using The Framingham Heart Study. Journal of the American Heart Association. 16;9(12):e016292. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.120.016292. Epub 2020 Jun 3. PMID:32486880.
Hwang, C-L., Bian, J-T., Thur, L.A., Peters, T.A., Piano, M.R., Phillips, S.A. Tetrahydrobiopterin restores microvascular dysfunction in young adult binge drinkers. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research.44(2):407-414; 2020.
Piano, M.R., Hwang C-L, Thur, L.A., Phillips, S.A. Effects of Alcohol on the Cardiovascular System in Women.Alcohol Research Current Reviews. Journal of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Jul 30;40(2):12. doi: 10.35946/arcr.v40.2.12. eCollection 2020.
Hwang C-L,Piano M.R., Thur, L.A., Peters, T.A., Da Silva, L.G.Phillips, S.A. The Effects of Repeated Binge Drinking on Arterial Stiffness and Urinary Norepinephrine Levels in Young Adults. Journal of Hypertension. 38 (1): 111-117; 2020
Piano, M.R. Unhealthy ETOH Consumption. Davis Lecture Emory University, School of Nursing, April 11, 2017.
Piano, M.R. Health effects of marijuana, E-Cigarettes and vaping. Preventative Cardiovascular Nurses Association. Denver Colorado, April 6-9, 2017.
Piano, M.R. Distinguished Nurse Scientist lecture: The nurse scientist: Insights for this important role. Preventative Cardiovascular Nurses Association. Denver Colorado, April 6-9, 2017.
Piano, M.R., Bian J-T, Mahmound A, Kotlo, M, Phillips, S.A. Inhibition of miRNA restores impaired microvascular function in young adult binge drinkers. Gordon Conference - Alcohol End Organ Disease. Sponsored by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Ventura CA, March 21-16, 2017.
Piano, M.R. Risky drinking. University of Illinois College of Nursing Research Forum. Chicago, Illinois, March 3, 2017.
Piano, M.R. Plenary: Alcohol and CHD: It's Complicated. Australian Cardiovascular Nursing College 10th Annual Conference. Melbourne, Australia, March 4-5, 2016.
Piano, M.R. Plenary: Alternative smokeless tobacco products: friend or foe? Australian Cardiovascular Nursing College 10th Annual Conference. Melbourne, Australia, March 4-5, 2016.
Piano, M.R. Keynote: Alcohol intake and cardiovascular disease: An oxymoron? Mary MacKillop Institute for Health Research, Australian Catholic University, Melbourne, Australia, 2-3 March, 2016.
Piano, M.R. Alcohol-balancing benefits vs. risks. American Heart Association Scientific Sessions 2015, Orland Florida, Nov, 2015.
Piano, M.R. Binge drinking and cardiovascular risk. Introduction. 38th Annual Research Society on Alcoholism Scientific meeting, San Antonio Texas, June 20-24, 2015
Piano, M.R. Binge drinking and young adults: Definition and scope of the problem. 38th Annual Research Society on Alcoholism Scientific meeting, San Antonio Texas, June 20-24, 2015
Piano, M.R., Phillips, S.A.. The Effects of binge drinking on the cardiovascular system: Is it time for an eye opener (Piano, symposium organizer): Introduction. 38th Annual Research Society on Alcoholism Scientific meeting, San Antonio Texas, June 20-24, 2015.
Piano, M.R. Alcohol consumption: The fine line. The European Society of Cardiology. Barcelona Spain, August, 2014.
Piano, M.R. Unhealthy alcohol consumption. Department of Psychiatry, Addictions seminar, Northwestern University, Chicago, September 2013.
Piano, M.R. Unhealthy alcohol consumption. Seoul National University. Seoul, South Korea, July 2012.
Piano, M.R., The effects of alcohol and tobacco smoke on the cardiovascular system. Kyung Hee University, Seoul, South Korea, July, 2012.
NIH, Center for Scientific Review, Ad Hoc Reviewer
- 2014, Chair, Center for Scientific Review Special Emphasis Panel, RFA Panel: Tobacco Control Regulatory research. ZRG1 AARR G 56 (June and December meeting).
- 2013, Member, Center for Scientific Review Special Emphasis Panel, RFA Panel: Tobacco Control Regulatory research. ZRG1 AARR G 56 (November meeting)
- 2016-present, Consulting Editor, European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing
- 2003-present, Editorial Board, Cardiovascular Toxicology
- 2001-2016, Editorial Board, Circulation
- 1997-2015, Editorial Board, Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing
Manuscript Reviewer for: Alcohol, Clinical and Experimental Research, American Journal of Physiology, American Journal of Critical Care, Alcohol, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology
- Member, Nominating Committee, American Academy of Nursing, 2016 -
- Immediate Past Chair, American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing Council, 2015-2017
- co-Chair, Diversity Task Force, American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing Council, 2015-2017
- Chair, Nominating committee, American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing, 2015-2017
- Chair, American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing Council, 2013-2015
- Vice-Chair, American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing Council, 2011-2013
- Member, Executive Council, Heart Failure Society of America, 2006-2013
- Secretary, Executive Council, Heart Failure Society of America, 2012-2013
- Member, Council on Cardiovascular Leadership Committee, National American Heart Association, 2004-2017
- International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame, Sigma Theta Tau International, 2019
- UIC College of Nursing Distinguished Alumni Award, 2019
- UIC College of Nursing Distinguished Researcher Award, 2018
- UIC College of Nursing Distinguished Researcher Award, 2017
- Invited Speaker, Gordon Research Conference on Alcohol-Induced End Organ Diseases, National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, 2017
- University Scholar, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2016
- Nursing Collegiate Professor, University of Illinois College of Nursing, 2016
- Fellow, The Institute of Medicine Chicago, 2014
- University of Illinois Graduate Mentoring Award, 2010
- Katharine A. Lembright Distinguished Scientist Award, Council on CV Nursing, American Heart Association, 2008
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Loyola University of Chicago, 2007
- Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing (FAAN), 2006
- Fellow of the American Heart Association, 2000
- American Heart Association Young Investigator Award, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, 1994