Lori Schirle PhD, CRNA
Dr. Schirle's program of research focuses on achieving effective pain management in post-discharge surgical populations while maximizing opioid safety. She is interested in how pain phenotypes effect pain management, and genomic influences on postoperative pain and opioid effectiveness and adverse effects.
- Post-Doctoral Health Services Research Fellowship, Vanderbilt University
- PhD, University of Miami
- MSN, Florida International University
- BSN Saginaw Valley State University
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
- American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Life Support
- American Heart Association Adult Advanced Life Support
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Genomic influences on postoperative opioid consumption
- Pain phenotypes in surgical populations
- Identification of problematic opioid use in electronic health records
- Advanced practice nurse workforce and work environment
- Health policy
- Health Services Research
- PhD Student Advising
- The investigation of polygenic contributions to chronic overlapping pain conditions
- Evaluating the Spectrum of Opioid Use in Electronic Health Data
Detecting Centralized Pain in Electronic Health Record Data. Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical and Translational Research Pilot Funding, 2021 (Role:PI).
Opioid Prescribing for Discharged Hospitalized Adult Patients. Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical and Translational Research Grant, 2017-2018 (Role:PI).
Post-Doctoral Health Services Research Fellowship. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Foundation, 2016-2018. (Role:PI).
Workforce Initiative for Current Predictors of CRNA Employment in the State of Florida. Florida Association of Nurse Anesthetists, 2016. (Role: Co-I).
The Mediating Effect of Psychological Ownership on the Relationship between APRN Practice Environment and Patient Outcomes. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Foundation Research Fellowship, 2015-2016. (Role: PI).
Schirle, L., Stone, A.L., Osmundson, S.S., Morris, M., Walker, P., Dietrich, M.S., & Bruehl, S. (2020).Leftover Opioids Following Adult Surgical Procedures: A Meta-Analysis. BMC Systematic Reviews, 9 (139); 1-15. Doi:10.1186/s13643-020-01393-8
Schirle, L., & Dietrich, M. (2020). Advanced Practice Registered Nurses Work Environment Perceptions in Hospitals: A Cross-Sectional Survey. Journal of Nursing Management. 28 (4); 919-926. Doi:10.1111/jonm.13020.
Schirle, L., Norful, A.A., Rudner, N., Poghosyan, L. (2020). Organizational Facilitators and Barriers to Optimal APRN Practice: An Integrative Review. Health Care Management Review, 45(4); 311-320. doi: 10.1097/HMR.0000000000000229
Schirle, L., McCabe, B., & Mitrani, V. (2019). The Relationship between Practice Environment and Psychological Ownership in Advanced Practice Nurses. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 41 (1); 6-24:2019. doi: 10.1177/0193945918754496
Unruh, L., Rutherford, A., Schirle, L., & Brunell, M.L. (2018). Benefits of Less Restrictive Regulation of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses in Florida. Nursing Outlook, 66(6); 539-550. doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2018.09.002
Schirle, L. Shared Decision Making and Patient Decision Aids in Anesthesia. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Journal. In Press, 2018
Wunder, L.L., Glymph, D.C., Schirle, L.M., & Valdes, J.A. (2017). Workforce Initiative for Current Predictors of CRNA Employment in the State of Florida. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Journal, 85(3); 217-221.
Schirle, L., & McCabe, B. (2016). State Variation in Opioid and Benzodiazepine Prescriptions between Independent and Non-Independent Prescribing States. Nursing Outlook, 64(1); 86-93. doi:10.1016/j.outlook.2015.10.003
Schirle, L. (2020). Centralized Pain: An Update. Kentucky Association of Nurse Anesthetists Annual Meeting. Louisville, KY. Podium Presentation
McLaughlin, C., McMullan, S., Biddle, C., Schirle, L., Hauglum, S., & Stanley, L. (2020). What Have We Learned? Research Findings. Braselton, GA. Panel Presentation.
Schirle, L. (2019). CRNAs, Genes, and The Opioid Epidemic: Patient Factors Related to Opioid Consumption After Surgical Procedures. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Annual Congress. Chicago, IL. Podium Presentation.
Schirle, L. (2018). Opioid Prescribing and Consumption Patterns Post-Discharge in Adult Surgical Patients. Academy Health Annual Research Meeting: Surgical and Perioperative Interest Group. Seattle, WA. Podium and Poster Presentation.
Schirle, L. (2018). Work Environment Perceptions of Nurse Anesthetists and Potential Influence on Perioperative Care. Academy Health Annual Research Meeting: Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues. Seattle, WA. Podium and Poster Presentation
Schirle, L. (2017). CRNA and NP Practice Environment: What's the Difference? What's the Big Deal?. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Annual Congress: State of the Science Presentation. Seattle, WA. Podium and Poster Presentations
Schirle, L. (2017). The Theory of Psychological Ownership: Measurement and Uses in Nurse Work Environment Research. Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Research Congress. Dublin, IRL. Podium Presentation
Unruh, L., Rutherford, A., Schirle, L., & Brunell, M.L. Benefits of Less Restrictive Regulation of APRNs in Florida. Academy Health Annual Research Meeting. New Orleans, LA, June, 2017. Poster Presentation
Schirle, L. (2017). Health Services Research: Past, Present, and Future. American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Assembly of School Faculty. Fort Lauderdale, FL. Podium Presentation
Schirle, L. (2016). Organizational Climate and Psychological Ownership in a Sample of Advanced Practice Nurses. American Academy of Nursing 2016 Transforming Health, Driving Policy Conference. Washington DC. Poster Presentation
Schirle, L. (2016). Independent APRN Prescribing is Not Related to Higher Opioid Prescriptions. Florida Association of Nurse Anesthetists Sand and Surf Symposium. Marco Island, FL. Podium Presentation
Schirle, L. (2015). Full APRN Prescribing States Prescribe Fewer Opioids. American Academy of Nursing 2015 Transforming Health, Driving Policy Conference. Washington, DC. Poster Presentation
Schirle, L. (2015). Independent Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Prescribing is Not Related to Higher Opioid of Benzodiazepine Prescriptions. Florida Nurse Practitioner Network Annual Meeting. Sanibel Island, FL. Poster Presentation
Oliver, W., Holliday, S., & Schirle, L. (2015). Controlling Costs in Health Care: An Exploration of What Works, What Doesn't and What's Next to Try. Associated Industries of Florida Healthcare Affordability Summit. Orlando, FL. Panel presentation
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist- Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Grant Reviewer, Orthopedic Research Foundation/American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Multimodal Musculoskeletal Perioperative Pain Management Grant (2020)
Grant Reviewer, American Association of Nurse Anesthesia Foundation (2020)
Grant Reviewer, Vanderbilt University Center for Musculoskeletal Research Grant (2019-2020)
Grant Reviewer, Florida Blue Foundation Statewide Nursing Leadership Development Program (2015)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists Foundation, Board of Trustee (2019 - Present)
- US Association for the Study of Pain (2020 - Present)
- Southern Pain Society (2020 - Present)
- American Academy of Pain Medicine (2019 - Present)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists CRNA Workforce Study Technical Expert Panel (2018 - 2019)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists State Organizational Development Committee (2017 - 2018)
- Academy Health (2016 - Present)
- Florida Coalition of Advanced Practice Nurses (2014 - 2017)
- Florida Action Coalition, member 2012, Practice Action Team Lead (2013 - 2016)
- Florida Association of Nurse Anesthetists: member (2004 - 2018), Executive Committee (2015 - 2016), Federal Political Director (2008 - 2009), (2011 - 2013), President (2009 - 2010), President (2008 - 2009), Secretary-Treasurer (2006 - 2008), Chair Student Nurse Anesthetists (2003 - 2004)
- American Association of Nurse Anesthetists (2003 - Present)
- Gastrointestinal Nurses Society (1994 - 1996)
- Sigma Theta Tau (1985 - Present)
- Michigan Nurses Association (1985 - 1989)
- Nursing Outlook Excellence in Policy Award (manuscript), 2020
- Vanderbilt University Provost Research Studio Award, 2018
- Academy Health Interdisciplinary Research Group on Nursing Issues, 2018 Academy Health Research Meeting Scholarship Award, 2018
- President's Recognition Award, Florida Association of Nurse Anesthetists, 2016
- Nurse Practitioner Advocate Award, Florida Nurse Practitioner Network, 2015
- Jonas Nurse Leader Scholar, 2014
- Outstanding Achievement in The Nursing Profession, Florida International University, Alumni Award, 2013
- Outstanding Academic Performance, Florida International University, 2004