Karen Hande DNP, ANP-BC, CNE, FAANP
Assistant Director, DNP Program / Associate Professor of Nursing
Karen Hande is DNP prepared adult health board certified nurse practitioner and a certified nurse educator. She earned her BSN from the University of Connecticut in 1999 and was employed as a bone marrow transplant nurse at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts. Karen furthered her education at Boston College and earned an MSN. Her experience as a nurse practitioner began at Dana Farber Cancer Institute in the hematology outpatient clinic. She continued her practice in adult primary care in outpatient clinics in Connecticut and Tennessee. Her pursuit for a practice doctorate was commenced at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing in 2013. Karen is an associate professor at the Vanderbilt University School of Nursing in the DNP program. She coordinates the DNP integrative application course series. Karen's primary interest is in guiding students through the DNP project process and improving the student learning environment. Karen also practices at the Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center in the Supportive Care Clinic.
- DNP, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- DNP Scholarly Project: Measuring Endoscopic Performance for Colorectal Cancer Prevention Quality Improvement in a Gastroenterology Practice
- MSN, Boston College, William F. Connell School of Nursing
- BSN, University of Connecticut School of Nursing
- American Nurses Credentialing Center, Adult Nurse Practitioner
- National League of Nursing, Certified Nurse Educator
- American Heart Association, Basic Life Saving for Health Care Providers
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- DNP Student Advising and Mentoring
- Human Caring in the Student, Clinical, and Faculty Environment
- DNP Education Pedagogy
- DNP Scholarly Project Process
- Evidence-based Practice
Mindfulness based stress reduction in graduate nursing programs: A randomized controlled study; co-recipient of grant from the Tennessee Nurses Foundation, 2015
Mindfulness based stress reduction in graduate nursing programs: A randomized controlled study; co-recipient of grant from the Sigma Theta Tau International, Iota Chapter, Research Grant, 2015
A mindfulness centered stress reduction intervention to improve MSN students' stress: A Pilot Study; co-recipient of support from the Vanderbilt University Scholarly Practice Program, 2015
Measuring endoscopic performance for colorectal cancer prevention quality improvement in a gastroenterology practice; recipient of grant from the Sigma Theta Tau International, Iota Chapter, 2014
Kalensky, M. & Hande, K. (2017). Transition from expert clinician to novice faculty: A blueprint for success. Journal for Nurse Practitioners (In Press).
Plummer, C., Cloyd, E., Doersam, J., Dietrich, M. & Hande, K. (2017). Mindfulness based stress reduction in graduate nursing programs: A randomized controlled study. Holistic Nursing Practice, (In Press).
Hande, K., Parish, A., Cook, C., Glassford, M., Pitts, C., Richmond, A., Widmar, B., Brame, C., Kennedy, B. (2018). Junior faculty teaching fellowship: A model to support nursing education development. Nurse Educator, 43(2). doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000413 (In Press)
Davis, S., Hande, K., & Moore, G. (2017). Implementation of the Female Sexual Function Index Adaptation for breast cancer survivors in an outpatient surgical breast practice. Women's Healthcare: A Clinical Journal for NPs, 5(1), 46-47.
Hande, K., Christenbery, T., & Phillippi, J. (2017). Appreciative advising: An innovative approach to advising DNP students. Nurse Educator, 42(5). doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000372
Hande, K. A., Williams, C. T., Robbins, H. M., Christenbery, T. L., Kennedy, B. B., & Christenbery, T., (2016). Leveling evidence-based practice curriculum: BSN through MSN and DNP programs. Journal for Nurse Practitioners. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2016.09.015
Hande, K., Beuscher, L., Allison, T., & Phillippi, J. (2017). Navigating DNP student needs: Faculty advising competencies and effective strategies for development and support. Nurse Educator, doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000332
Phillippi, J., Hande, K., & Allison, T. (2016). The literature table as a prompt for careful appraisal. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(10). Doi: 10.3928/01484834-20160914-13.
Fogel, S., Hande, K., & Kennedy, B. (2015). Transforming a curriculum to progress the associate degree nurse to advanced practice. Nurse Educator. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000154.
Hande, K. (2014). Are you screening your patients for colorectal cancer? Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(9), 757-758.
Hande, K. (March, 2014). Measuring endoscopic performance for colorectal cancer prevention quality improvement in a gastroenterology practice. Nursing Clinics of North America, (49)1, 15-28.
Hande, K. (2014). Hepatitis C screening and guideline update. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(1), 64-66.
- Supportive Oncology Clinic, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center
- Journal of Nursing Care Quality, Peer Review Panel
- Nurse Educator, Peer Review Panel
- Nursing Education Perspectives, Peer Review Panel
- Journal for Nurse Practitioners, Peer Review Panel
- American Nurses Association
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- Sigma Theta Tau International, Iota Chapter
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty
- National League of Nursing
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Middle Tennessee Advanced Practice Nurses Association
- National Organization for Nurse Practitioner Faculty, Leadership Mentoring Program, 2017
- Deans' Award for Recognition of Faculty Achievement in Academics, 2016
- Dean Coleen Conway-Welch Award, 2015
- American Nurses Association, American Nurses Advocacy Institute Fellow, 2016
- Tennessee Independent Colleges and Universities Association Aspiring Leaders, 2015
- Vanderbilt Center for Teaching Junior Faculty Fellow 2016
- Vanderbilt University Scholarly Practice Program, 2015
- Integrative Health Coaching, 2015
- March of Dimes, Nurse of the Year Award Recipient, Risk and Quality Management, 2014
- Sigma Theta Tau Iota Chapter DNP Best Poster Award, 2014
- Partners Health Care Clinical Excellence Award, 2005
- Brigham and Women's Medical Nursing Care Award, 2001