Kanah May Lewallen DNP, AGPCNP-BC
Dr. Lewallen graduated with her MSN at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing in 2009 with a specialty in Adult Gerontological Advanced Practice Nursing.
She completed her Doctor of Nursing Practice degree at Belmont University in 2015. Her DNP scholarly project was titled Improving Nurses Knowledge of Delirium in Post Acute Care and Implementation of the RADAR Screening Tool at two Post Acute Care Facilities in the United States.
She has worked as an advanced practice nurse in post acute/long term care since 2009 and her current clinical practice is with Vanderbilt Senior Care. Prior to her role as an APRN she worked as a registered nurse at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.
Dr. Lewallen joined the faculty at VUSN in January of 2014 with a primary focus of teaching in the Adult Gerontology Primary Care program.
- DNP, Belmont University
- MSN, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- The role of the APRN in post acute/long term care
- Delirium in acute care and post acute/long term care
- Providing advanced practice nursing students opportunities for clinical experience in geriatrics and post acute/long term care
Mion, L., & May, K. (2013). Nurses' impact on the hospital environment: Lessening or contributing to the chaos? Geriatric Nursing, 34(1), 72-74
Yevchak, A., Fick D., McDowell, J., Monroe, T., May, K., Grove, L., Kolanowski, A., Waller, & J., Inouye, S. (2014). Barriers and facilitators to implementing delirium rounds in a clinical trail across three diverse hospital settings. Clinical Nursing Research, 23(2)
Solberg, L., Plummer, C., May, K., & Mion, L. (2013). A quality improvement program to increase nurses' detection of delirium on an acute medical unit. Geriatric Nursing, 34(1), 75-79
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association, 2010-Present
- President, Middle Tennessee Chapter, 2014-Present
- Vice President, Middle Tennessee Chapter, 2013-2015
- Treasurer, Middle Tennessee Chapter, 2010-2012
- Chair of the post acute/long term care special interest group, 2014-Present
- The Society for Post Acute and Long Term Care Medicine, 2014 ? Present
- The Tennessee Nurses Association, 2014-Present
- The American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 2014-Present
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, 2014-Present