Jennifer Kim DNP, GNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Dr. Kim has been a certified gerontological nurse practitioner since 1997 and has coordinated geriatric content for VUSN nurse practitioner students since 2002. She is a graduate of the Doctor of Nursing Practice program at New York University College of Nursing and has clinical expertise in long term care. She has worked with the Meharry Consortium Geriatric Education Center and the Council on Aging of Greater Nashville. Dr. Kim currently serves as the treasurer the Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association and was the founding president of the Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses of Middle Tennessee. She is a Hartford Institute Primary Care for Older Adults Scholar (2012-2014) and Jonas Leadership Scholar (2012-2014). Dr. Kim is an advisor to the Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing (HIGN) at New York University College of Nursing and was a certification exam writer for the APRN Gerontological Specialist certification exam, which was recently inaugurated by the Gerontology Nursing Certification Commission. She was an elected member of the National Hartford Center for Gerontological Nursing Excellence (NHCGNE) Expert Panel on Gerontological Nurse Educator Competencies and was recognized by the organization as a Distinguished Educator in Gerontological Nursing in 2018. Also in 2018, Dr Kim was inducted as a fellow into the American Association of Nurse Practitioners.
- DNP, New York University
- MSN, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing (Gerontological Nurse Practitioner)
- BA, University of California, Irvine
- Long term care
- Long term care workforce education
- Gerontological Nurse Educator Competencies
Wyman, J., Abdallah, L., Baker, N., Bell, C., Cartwright, J., Greenberg, S., Kim J., Krichbaum, K., Mueller, C.A., Overcash, J., Skemp, L., & Van Son, C.R. (In Press). Development of core competencies and a recognition program for gerontological nursing educators. Journal of Professional Nursing.
Baker, N., & Kim, J. In Press. Recognizing and Addressing Elder Abuse in the Primary Care Setting. Advances in Family Practice Nursing.
Parish, A.L., Kim, J., Lewallen, K., Miller, S., Myers, J., Panepinto, R., & Maxwell, K. In Press. Knowledge and perceptions about aging and frailty: An integrative review of the literature. Geriatric Nursing.
Kim, J., & Parish, A.L. (2017) Polypharmacy and medication management in older adults. Nursing Clinics of North America.52(3), 457-468.
Simmons, S., Bonnet, K., Hollingsworth, E., Kim, J., Powers, J., Habermann, R., Newhouse, P., & Schlundt, D. (2017). Reducing Antipsychotic Medication Use in Nursing Homes: A Qualitative Study of Nursing Staff Perceptions. The Gerontologist. Advance Access Publication May 30, 2017.
Kim. J., Ea, E., Parish, A., & Levin, R. (2016). A Nurse Practitioner-led Heart Failure Education Program for Certified Nursing Assistants in a Long Term Care Facility. Annals of Long Term Care. 24(5), 27-34.
Kim, J. (2009). Assessment of Safe Living for Seniors. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 5(7), 542-543.
Kim, J. (2007). Nutritional Assessment in Elderly Clients. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 3(10), 726-728.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nursing Association, Treasurer
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses of Middle Tennessee, Founding President
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Distinguished Educator in Gerontological Nursing (National Hartford Center For Gerontological Nursing Excellence)
- Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association- Rising Star Award, 2017
- Sarah K Archer Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching, Scholarliness and Faculty Student Relations. Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, AGPCNP Program, 2015, 2018
- Valedictorian, Doctor of Nursing Practice Program. New York University College of Nursing, 2015
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Distinguished Capstone Project Award. New York University College of Nursing, 2015
- Advisor, Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, 2015
- Nursing Academy of the National Academies of Practice. Distinguished Practitioner & Fellow, 2015
- Excellence in Leadership Award. Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association, 2014
- Hartford Institute Primary Care for Older Adults Scholar. John A. Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence, 2012
- Jonas Nurse Leader Scholarship. Jonas Center for Nursing Excellence, 2012
- Sarah K Archer Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching, Scholarliness and Faculty Student Relations. Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, 2008