Jennifer Kim DNP, GNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Dr. Kim is a certified gerontological nurse practitioner (GNP) who has coordinated older adult healthcare courses for VUSN nurse practitioner students since 2002. She is a graduate of the Doctor of Nursing Practice program at New York University College of Nursing and works as a GNP in the long term care setting. Dr. Kim currently serves as the President-Elect of the Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA), and was the founding president of the Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses of Middle Tennessee. She is a Hartford Institute Primary Care for Older Adults Scholar (2012-2014) and Jonas Leadership Scholar (2012-2014). Dr. Kim was a certification exam writer for the inaugural APRN Gerontological Specialist certification exam, by the Gerontology Nursing Certification Commission. She was an elected member of the National Hartford Center for Gerontological Nursing Excellence (NHCGNE) Expert Panel on Gerontological Nurse Educator Competencies and was recognized by the organization as a Distinguished Educator in Gerontological Nursing in 2018. Also in 2018, Dr. Kim was inducted as a fellow into the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. She is currently VUSN's Principal Investigator of the Middle Tennessee Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program.
- DNP, New York University
- MSN, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing (Gerontological Nurse Practitioner)
- BA, University of California, Irvine
- Long term care
- Long term care workforce education & training
Kim, J., Lewallen, K., Hollingsworth, E., Shah, A., Simmons, S., & Vasilevskis, E. (Accepted). Patient-reported barriers and enablers to deprescribing recommendations during a clinical trial (Shed-MEDS). The Gerontologist.
Huskamp, H., Kim, J., & Stevenson, D. (2022). Concurrent use of opioids and benzodiazepines among nursing home and assisted living residents who receive a pain medication. The Journal of The American Geriatrics Society. doi:10.1111/jgs.17709
Schorn, M., Myers, C., Barroso, J., Hande, K., Hudson, T., Kim, J., & Kleinpell, R. (2022). Results of a national survey: Ongoing barriers to APRN practice in the United States stratified by practice authority. Policy, Politics, & Nursing Practice.
DesRoches, C., Chang, Y., Kim, J., Mukunda, S., Norman, L., Dittus, R. S., & Donelan, K. (2022). Who wants to work in geriatrics: Findings from a national survey of physicians and nurse practitioners. Nursing outlook, S0029-6554(21)00236-0. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.outlook.2021.10.004undefined
Kim, J. & Parish, A.L. (2021). Nursing: Polypharmacy and medication management in older adults. Clinics in Integrated Care. Vol 8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intcar.2021.100070
Greenberg, S.A., Dunn, D., Baker, N.R., Kim, J., Shaughnessy, M., & Mullaney, S. (2020). Addressing nursing home safety during the COVID-19 pandemic and beyond. Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses (GAPNA) Position Statement. Available at: https://www.gapna.org/system/files/statements/addressing-nursing-homesafety-during-the-covid-19-pand...
Parish, A.L., & Kim, J. (2020). The role of the primary care nurse practitioner in work-up and management of Parkinson's Disease. Advances in Family Practice Nursing. 2, 37-47.
Baker, N., &?Kim, J.?(2019). Recognizing and Addressing Elder Abuse in the Primary Care Setting.?Advances in Family Practice Nursing. 1, 99-115.
Wyman, J., Abdallah, L., Baker, N., Bell, C., Cartwright, J., Greenberg, S., Kim J., Krichbaum, K., Mueller, C.A., Overcash, J., Skemp, L., & Van Son, C.R. (2019). Development of core competencies and a recognition program for gerontological nursing educators. Journal of Professional Nursing. 35(6), 452-460.
Maxwell, K., Lewallen, K., Miller, S., Kim, J., Panepinto, R., Myers, J., & Parish, A. (2018). Knowledge and perceptions about aging and frailty: An integrative review of the literature. Geriatric Nursing. 40(1), 13-24.
Simmons, S., Bonnet, K., Hollingsworth, E., Kim, J., Powers, J., Habermann, R., Newhouse, P., & Schlundt, D. (2018). Reducing Antipsychotic Medication Use in Nursing Homes: A Qualitative Study of Nursing Staff Perceptions. The Gerontologist. 58(4), e239-e250.
Kim, J., & Parish, A.L. (2017) Polypharmacy and medication management in older adults. Nursing Clinics of North America. 52(3), 457-468.
Kim, J., Ea, E., Parish, A., & Levin, R. (2016). A Nurse Practitioner-led Heart Failure Education Program for Certified Nursing Assistants in a Long Term Care Facility. Annals of Long Term Care. 24(5), 27-34.
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nursing Association, President
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses of Middle Tennessee, Founding President
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- The Society for Post Acute and Long Term Care Medicine
- Teaching Nurse Practitioner Students About Polypharmacy Through A Lived Experience. Awarded "Best Poster Presentation of Conference". Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association (GAPNA) Annual Meeting, 2020
- he Daisy Award, Small Group Facilitator at the MSN Level at VUSN, 2019
- Distinguished Educator in Gerontological Nursing (National Hartford Center For Gerontological Nursing Excellence), 2018
- Fellow of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 2018
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association- Rising Star Award, 2017
- Sarah K Archer Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching, Scholarliness and Faculty Student Relations. Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, AGPCNP Program, 2015, 2018
- Valedictorian, Doctor of Nursing Practice Program. New York University College of Nursing, 2015
- Doctor of Nursing Practice Distinguished Capstone Project Award. New York University College of Nursing, 2015
- Advisor, Hartford Institute for Geriatric Nursing, 2015
- Nursing Academy of the National Academies of Practice. Distinguished Practitioner & Fellow, 2015
- Excellence in Leadership Award. Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association, 2014
- Hartford Institute Primary Care for Older Adults Scholar. John A. Hartford Center of Geriatric Nursing Excellence, 2012
- Jonas Nurse Leader Scholarship. Jonas Center for Nursing Excellence, 2012
- Sarah K Archer Award for Outstanding Contributions to Teaching, Scholarliness and Faculty Student Relations. Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, 2008