Dawn Vanderhoef PhD, DNP, PMHNP-BC, FAANP
Director, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Specialty
Dr. Vanderhoef is board certified as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) with over 25 years of nursing experience. Her current practice and research interest is working with persons diagnosed with a severe mental illness, cardiometabolic side effects from antipsychotic medication, and collaborative care, and psychiatric advance practice registered nurse (APRN) workforce.
She has an active practice working at VUMC in the Department of Psychiatry in the psychosis clinic. She is an active member of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association (APNA) and National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF), American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), and the Neuroscience Education Institute (NEI).
Dr. Vanderhoef has experience working with the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) serving on the PMHNP expert panel and as an item writer. She co-edited the 3rd and 4th Eds. of the ANA PMHNP review manual. She has published and presented extensively at a variety of local, regional, and national conferences.
Dr. Vanderhoef is currently active at the national level chairing the ANPA Workforce Task Force and APRN Practice Council. Additionally, she is the president elect of the APNA TN state chapter.
She has a passion for clinical education and incorporating technology into the classroom. Her work has been recognized by a variety of organizations, including APNA as the recipient of the Award in Education, induction as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (FAANP), and by her students receiving the 2017excellence in teaching award among the PMHNP faculty.
- Post Master's Certificate, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing (PMHNP Lifespan)
- PhD, University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- DNP, University of Tennessee Health Science Center
- MSN, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- BSN, University of WI Milwaukee
- ADN, Western WI Technical College
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Neuroscience Educational Institute
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- American Nurses Association and TN Nurses Association