S. Cole Powers DNP, FNP-BC
VUSN Pride Faculty Support
Dr. Powers has 20 years experience in clinical practice and management experience, including a decade as APRN and clinic director at Planned Parenthood. Additionally, she started the first APRN-managed sexual assault service in Nashville at Metro General Hospital. She has been VUSN faculty for the past 18 years, with a teaching focus in Community Health and the professional development series. Her special interests are around health literacy, disparities, and outcomes in at-risk populations, as well as student learning outcomes using non-linear teaching methodologies. She has collaborated in numerous related poster presentations and published in The Journal of Nursing Education.
Dr. Powers serves as a pre-specialty student and faculty adviser, as well as a volunteer for Sigma Theta Tau International Honorary Nursing Society, Iota Chapter. She is a member of the American and Tennessee Nurses Associations and the National League for Nursing.
- DNP, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- MSN, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- BSN, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- Certified Family Nurse Practitioner, ANCC
- American Heart Association, Basic Life Support
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Improving teaching strategies utilizing non-linear learning theories
- Empowering vulnerable populations toward appropriate healthcare decisions and healthier lifestyle behaviors
- Health disparities, health literacy, and outcomes in vulnerable populations
- Aggregate-level client-centered, evidence-based quality improvement projects
- Legal and ethical considerations within healthcare delivery
- Leadership and politics/policy in nursing/healthcare
Transitioning Community Health Clinical to an Online Format During Covid-19. Journal of Nursing Education. 2022; 61(3):159-161.
Simulated Home Visits to Promote Chronic Disease Management Competencies in Pre-Licensure Nursing Students, Nurse Educator Online Ahead of Print, June 2022.
Faculty-Led Role-Play Simulation: Going Live to Teach PCC to Nursing Students, Journal of Nursing Education, Vol 58, No 11, Nov 2019.
2021 - Home Visit Simulation to Promote Skill Acquisition and Competency for Pre-Licensure Nursing Students. Presented at NLN Conference, September 25, 2021; Baltimore, MD.
2019 - Non-pharmacological Sleep Improvement in Substance Use Disorder Recovery, TN Public Health Assn
2018 - Improving Health Literacy in A&D Addiction Population, TN Public Health Assn
2016 - Empowering International Adolescents Toward Healthier Lifestyles, TN Nurses Assn
2016 - Live Simulation To Enhance Clinical Reasoning In Pcc, TN Nurses Assn
2016 - Self Care Behaviors In An A&d Addiction Population, TN Public Health Assn
2015 - Determinants Of Health In The News, Vanderbilt Univ Medical Center
2013 - DNP Project - APRN SOP And National Morbidity/mortality Rates, Univ Of Alabama at Birmingham
- American Nurses Association
- National League for Nursing
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Nursing Society - Iota Chapter
- 2023 VUSN Award for Faculty Achievement in Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion