S. Brian Widmar PhD, RN, ACNP-BC, CCRN, CNE, FAANP, FCCM
Assistant Dean for Academics, Advanced Nursing Practice
Brian Widmar is an Associate Professor of Nursing at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing and is the Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner specialty Academic Director. He is also the Assistant Dean for Academics for Advanced Nursing Practice. He is a certified Acute Care Nurse Practitioner with a clinical background in cardiothoracic critical care, his expertise being in the care management of patients with advanced heart failure, cardiothoracic transplantation and mechanical circulatory support device therapy. He has volunteered extensively for the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, the Society of Critical Care Medicine, and is a former Board Member at Large of the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. His professional service efforts focus on advocacy for and advancement of nurse practitioner education and practice.
- PhD, Vanderbilt University
- MSN, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- BSN, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- AS, Jefferson State Community College
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Quality of life after ventricular assist device implantation
- Patient and family-centered care and self-care education in cardiothoracic transplant and ventricular assist device patient populations
- Advanced Health Assessment and Clinical Reasoning
- Advanced Cardiovascular Nursing
- Advanced Critical Care Nursing
- Procedural training for nurse practitioners
- Professional practice transition for new nurse practitioners
Shifrin, M.M., Widmar, S.B., & Ashby, N.E. (2019). Adult gerontology acute care nurse practitioner student and pre-licensure registered nurse student perceptions of intradisciplinary, high-fidelity rapid response team simulations. Clinical Simulation in Nursing 26, 32-37.
Casida, J., Abshire, M., Widmar, S.B., Combs, P., Freeman, R., & Bass, L. (2019). Nurses' competence in caring for hospitalized patients with ventricular assist devices. Dimensions of Critical Care Nursing 38 (1), 38-49.
Cardy, C., Ardisson, K.M., & Widmar, S.B. (2018). Atrial fibrillation clinical decision aid for emergency medicine providers: An initiative to improve quality healthcare outcomes in adults with new-onset atrial fibrillation. Heart and Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care,
Hande, K., Parish, A. L., Cook, C., Glassford, M.A., Pitts, C.J., Richmond, A., Widmar, S.B., Brame, C. & Kennedy, B. (2018). Junior faculty teaching fellowship: A model to support nursing education development. Nurse Educator, 43(2).
Shifrin, M.M., & Widmar, S.B. (2016). Platelet inhibitors. Nursing Clinics of North America, 51(1), 29-43.
Widmar, S.B., Dietrich, M.S., & Minnick, A.F. (2014). How self-care education in ventricular assist device programs is organized and provided: A national study. Heart and Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care, 43(1), 25-31.
Amba, K.T., Hardin, S., Hravnak, M., Kierol-Andrews, L., McGowan, C., Wadas, T. & Widmar, B. (2012). Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Scope and Standards Task Force. In Bell, L. (Ed.) AACN Scope and Standards for Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Practice. American Association of Critical Care Nurses.
Widmar, S.B., & Steanson, K. (2023). The Acute Care Nurse Practitioner. Hamric and Hanson's Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach (7th ed.). New York: Elsevier.
Hravnak, M., Guttendorf, J., Kleinpell, R.M., Widmar, S.B., & Magdic, K.S. (2018). The Acute Care Nurse Practitioner. Hamric and Hanson's Advanced Practice Nursing: An Integrative Approach (6th ed.). New York: Elsevier.
Widmar, S. B. (2017). Ventricular Assist Devices. In Fitzpatrick, Alfes, & Hickman (Eds.) A Guide to Mastery in Clinical Nursing: The Comprehensive Reference. New York: Springer.
Widmar, S. B. (2017). Heart Transplantation. In Fitzpatrick, Alfes, & Hickman (Eds.) A Guide to Mastery in Clinical Nursing: The Comprehensive Reference. New York: Springer.
Widmar, S. B. (2016). Pericarditis: Post-operative CABG. In Burns & Delgado (Eds.) Acute and Critical Care Nursing: Cases in Diagnostic Reasoning. McGraw-Hill.
Representative PresentationsMadden, M., Storzer, D., Thurman, P., Prewitt, E., Widmar, S.B., & Bennett, A.M. (2019). Advanced Practice Institute-Dedicated Procedural Cadaver Lab. National Teaching Institute and Critical Care Exposition, American Association of Critical-Care Nurses.
- AACN Advanced Critical Care
- Journal of Nursing Scholarship
- Heart and Lung: The Journal of Acute and Critical Care
- Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- American Association of Heart Failure Nurses
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Sigma Theta Tau, Iota and Nu Chapters
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- Fellow, AACN-Wharton Executive Leadership Program, American Association of Colleges of Nursing/Wharton, 2022
- Fellow, American College of Critical Care Medicine, 2022
- Recipient, University of Alabama at Birmingham's School of Nursing Top 70 Visionary Leader, 2020
- Fellow, Elevating Leaders in Academic Nursing (ELAN), American Association of Colleges of Nursing, 2019
- Fellow, American Association of Nurse Practitioners, June 2017
- Recipient, Dean Sarah Archer Award for Excellence in Teaching, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, August 2014.
- Recipient, "Tradition Meets Innovation" Award for Faculty, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing, May 2014
- Junior Faculty Teaching Fellowship, Center for Teaching, Vanderbilt University, 2013-2014
- Recipient, Rising Stars of Research and Scholarship Award, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. 2011