Bethany Andrews Rhoten PhD, ACNP-BC
Dr. Rhoten's program of research focuses on improving the lives of people after treatment for cancer, specifically in the areas of body image and sexuality. She also conducts research on treatment decision-making after diagnosis of recurrent head and neck cancer. Dr. Rhoten received her nursing degree and PhD from Vanderbilt University where she also completed a postdoctoral fellowship. She is currently completing a patient-centered outcomes research career development award. She lives in Nashville, Tennessee with her husband and three children.
- PhD, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
- MSN, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing (Acute Care NP)
- BS, The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Registered Nurse
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Body image
- Cancer-related disfigurement
- NRSC 8350: Conceptual Foundations of Clinical Research
A Patient-Centered Outcomes Study. Funded by the Vanderbilt Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Career Knowledge, Education and Training Program. K12 through Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (Role: Trainee) 2014-2017
Rhoten, B. (2016). Body image disturbance in adults treated for cancer - a concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing.72(5):1001-1011
Rhoten, B. (2016). Head and neck cancer and sexuality: a review of the literature. Cancer Nursing. 39(4).
Rhoten B, Radina M, Adair M, Sinclair V, Ridner S. (2015). Hide and seek: body image-related issues for breast cancer survivors with lymphedema. Journal of Women's Health Issues & Care. 4:2.
Rhoten B, Deng J, Dietrich M, Murphy B, Ridner S. (2014). Body image and depressive symptoms in patients with head and neck cancer: an important relationship. Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer. 22(11):3053-3060.
Rhoten B, Murphy B, Ridner S. (2013). Body image in patients with head and neck cancer: a review of the empirical literature. Oral Oncology. 49(8):753-760.
Rhoten B, Sellers J, Charron E, Ridner S. (2016) Body image concerns of patients with recurrent head and neck cancer. 2016 International Conference on Cancer Nursing. Hong Kong, China.
Rhoten B, Sellers J, Charron E, Ridner S. (2016) Recurrent head and neck cancer: patient decision-making. 2016 International Conference on Cancer Nursing. Hong Kong, China.
Rhoten B. (2016) Lymphedema and sexuality. The National Lymphedema Network International Conference. Dallas, TX.
Rhoten B, Sellers J, Charron E, Ridner S. (2016). Supporting patients with a diagnosis of recurrent head and neck cancer: Patient-centered information for oncology nurse clinicians. Oncology Nursing Society 41st Annual Congress. San Antonio, TX
Rhoten B. (2015) Sex and head and neck cancer: the lived experience of survivors. World Congress of Psycho-Oncology. Washington, DC.
- Journal of Advanced Nursing
- Head and Neck
- European Journal of Cancer Care
- Journal of Supportive Care in Cancer
- Students interested in psychosocial implications of cancer/disfigurement/trauma.
- Students interested in chronic diseases and sexuality.
- American Nurses Association
- Tennessee Nurses Association
- Oncology Nursing Society
- International Society of Nurses in Cancer Care
- Junior League of Nashville
- March of Dimes Graduate Student Nurse of the Year, March of Dimes, 2012
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Writing, VUSN, 2013