Please note: To all new student attending the afternoon session of Orientation on Monday, August 21st:
The check-in time for New Students has been moved up to 12:00, with programming starting at 12:30
Admitted MSN and Post-Master's Students 2017
We commend you on being selected for admission to the School of Nursing and are delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you to the 2017 class. Updates will be highlighted on this page. Check back on the 1st and 15th of each month for updates.
Please read this letter for Dean for Student Affairs Sarah Ramsey regarding a time change for afternoon orientation on Monday, August 21st.
August 15 Update
BSN to MSN, Post Master's, and DNP Plus Post Master's students, please read this letter from Assistant Dean for Student Affairs Sarah Ramsey which provides instructions you will need for orientation.
During orientation, students may need to have their ID badges made at Sarratt Student Center. Below is a map showing the walking path from VUSN (bottom right) to Sarratt Student Center.
Additional Orientation Information:
Please note: PreSpecialty students: Orientation will be Wed Aug 16 - Friday Aug 18. Check in at 8:00am on Wednesday, August 16 in the Godchaux Hall Living Room.
Direct entry, Post Master's, and DNP Plus students: Orientation will be Monday, August 21 - Tuesday, August 22. Please read the letter from VUSN Assistant Dean for Student Affairs Sarah Ramsey regarding important dates and times for Orientation.
- Deadline to waive Student Health Insurance is August 1
- Deadline to submit a photo for your student ID is August 7
- Deadline to complete University Required training modules is August 14 (See #1, below)
- Lab coats and fleeces - Deadline to order has passed
Read the letter from Dean Mark Bandas regarding required University training modules.
Distance students probably will not need to purchase a parking permit. However, if you feel you may need one, see the following letter from the Office of Traffic and Parking for more information.
Vanderbilt University Training Modules required
Students will receive an email from the Office of the University Dean of Students providing module access information and instructions. Please do not attempt to take the modules before you receive that communication.
Students will be required to complete the following modules: https://www.vanderbilt.edu/studentaccountability/online-modules
School of Nursing Training Modules required
How to Recognize Plagiarism: Tutorials and Tests
- Go to https://www.indiana.edu/~academy/firstPrinciples/index.html
- When you have finished the Tutorials, take the Certification Test (registration required)
- Upload a copy of your certificate to your CastleBranch account
All new student requirements (see #7 below) must be completed by July 15.
New Students can pre-order their Commodore ID Card by submitting a photo online. We have included instructions here. Pre-ordered Commodore ID Cards will be available for pick up at New Student Orientation.
The deadline to upload your photo is Monday August 7th. Failure to submit an appropriate photo by this date will require you to visit the Card Office in Sarratt Student Center to have your photo taken and your Commodore Card produced.
Please upload a professional photo using the online portal. Please read through the guidelines on acceptable photos.
REMEMBER – your photo will not only be on display on your Vanderbilt Commodore ID Card, but also in various systems such as professors’ seating charts and YES. Should you wish to change your photo later there is a $20 charge for a replacement ID.
Login here using your new VUnetID and password: https://card.app.vanderbilt.edu
Select “Submit ID Photo” or on a smartphone select “ID Photo”. You can crop the photo on a smartphone by using one finger and dragging it diagonally to create a box, or by using a mouse if using a PC/Mac. Once happy with the photo you can hit submit for approval.
Should you have any issues logging in – please reset your password here: https://jprod.its.vanderbilt.edu/apps3/idm/user/login.jsp and select “Forgot my ePassword”.
If you have multiple VUnetIDs please use the one connected to the University and not your VUMC account.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
3. Brightspace Orientation If you cannot access the course, please email your VUnetID to Tim Groves at email@example.com.
Vanderbilt has adopted a new learning management system called Brightspace. Most of your courses will use this system to deliver the course syllabus, media links, handouts, and other learning materials. The Brightspace environment is also a place where you will participate in online discussion, turn in assignments, view grades, and exchange files with course faculty and students.
We have created an introductory course to give you some experience using Brightspace.
While you are exploring Brightspace in this structured fashion, you will also learn information that will be useful to you as you begin your studies at VUSN. Please complete the course before you arrive on campus in August.
Students wishing to enroll in student health insurance, effective July 1, 2017 (regular start date is August 12, 2017), will be able to enroll via the instructions below.
- Go to www.gallagherstudent.com/vanderbilt.
- Log in. Your user name is your Vanderbilt email address. First time users will use their student ID number as their temporary password. If you do not know your password, click the ‘Forgot Password’ link to have a reset password email sent to your Vanderbilt email address.
- On the left, click ‘Early Arrival Enroll’.
- Complete the form and submit payment information.
If you have any questions about enrolling for student health insurance, contact Sarah Ramsey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Order Your Lab Coats and VUSN Fleece Now
Please note: Order forms with a return envelope were mailed to your home address on 6/13/17.
Welcome to your specialty! View your specialty's orientation page for a welcome video from your director, textbook and block schedule information, clinical preceptorship information, and more. You will need to log in to the specialty orientation pages with your VUnetID and password.
Please review the following pages for important information on technology requirements at VUSN:
- MSN PreSpecialty Level Requirements and Checklist
- ASN to MSN, BSN to MSN & MSN to Post Master’s Levels Requirements and Checklist
Note: Special Students, who are only enrolled in one course and are not seeking a degree from the School of Nursing, are not required to complete a background check or the new student requirements unless they apply and are admitted to VUSN.
Disclosure of offenses post-background check completion: Admitted VUSN students (includes full & part-time students) are required to immediately report to their Faculty Advisor and the Senior Associate Dean for Academics any arrest, criminal charge or conviction occurring after his or her background check has been completed.Required disclosure also includes but is not limited to: allegations, investigations and/or disciplinary action from any licensing board or agency included under the Nationwide Healthcare Fraud and Abuse scan; Office of Inspector General (OIG), General Services Administration (GSA), FDA Debarment Check, Office of Regulatory Affairs (ORA), Office of Research Integrity (ORI), and Medicare and Medicaid Sanctions.
11. Tuition and Fees Updated June 21
I have a bachelor's or higher degree in a field other than nursing
MSN PreSpecialty Level orientation:
— August 16 – August 18
— PreSpecialty Level Quickfacts [PDF]
I have an ASN, ADN or a hospital diploma in Nursing
ASN to MSN Level orientation:
— August 16 & 17
— ASN to MSN Level Quickfacts [PDF]
I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing
MSN Specialty Level orientation:
— August 21 & 22
— MSN Specialty Level Quickfacts [PDF]
I have a Master of Science in Nursing
MSN Specialty Level orientation:
— August 21 & 22
— Post-Master's Certificate Quickfacts [PDF]
14. Housing & Nashville Information Updated April 1
For those of you who live outside of the Nashville area and will be relocating or visiting the area as a distance student, please see resources below for helpful information:
- Please visit the Vanderbilt University Visitor Travel portal at:
Hotels that offer VUSN students special rates:
- Embassy Hotel Suites
- Hampton Inn Elliston [Rates]
- Hampton Inn West End [Rates]
- Hilton Garden Inn [Rates]
- Holiday Inn [Rates]
- Home 2 Suites by Hilton [Rates]
- Homewood Suites by Hilton [Rates]
- Apartment Selector – Free Locating Service:
— Local: 615-833-3151
— Toll free: 800-394-2736
— Web: www.aptselector.com/show/3833
— Email: email@example.com
- Craigslist: http://nashville.craigslist.org/
- Vanderbilt MyVU Classified Ads: www.vanderbilt.edu/classifieds (Requires a VUnet ID to login)
- Apartment Guide: www.apartmentguide.com
- Apartment Finder: www.apartmentfinder.com/Tennessee/Nashville
- A comprehensive database of apartment ratings and reviews, find out what tenants say BEFORE you sign a lease. www.apartmentratings.com
- Furniture Rental – Cort Furniture Rental: https://furniture.cort.com/storefront/student/c02_04.html
Please exercise good judgment when using an outside source such as Craigslist, Tennessean, etc. Although the Vanderbilt Office of Housing & Residential Off-Campus Service is not endorsed or verified by the university, it is password protected.
To learn more about the safety of the area you may be renting in, check out the Nashville Police website - www.crimemapping.com/map/tn/nashville
Our Hometown – Nashville, TN
- Find information regarding making Nashville home, childcare options, ride share, residential communities and things to do: www.vanderbilt.edu/nashville
- Vanderbilt Child Care Center & TN Statewide Child Care Sources:
- Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce – Getting Established:
- A ridesharing website to help you find commuting partners who work or study at VUMC:
www.vuridematch.com/public/Home.aspx (Requires a VU Net ID to login)
- Pinterest – Nashville Love: www.pinterest.com/vusn/nashville-love/
- Nashville boasts a variety of neighborhoods from downtown apartments to multifamily units in the suburbs to every kind of apartment community or single-family residential home. There are several distinct areas of the city listed below. For more information about these & other Nashville communities visit the following sites: