Sharon Hendrix DNP, FNP-BC
Instructor of Nursing
Dr. Sharon Hendrix is an instructor in the PreSpecialty Program at VUSN. A 1991 FNP Program graduate of VUSN, she has more than twenty-four years? experience as a Family Nurse Practitioner, mostly in primary care clinics in south central Kentucky.
She began as an Advanced Practice Nurse at the Warren County Health Department and later covered two mid-sized employer-based family practice clinics. Through use of motivational interviewing, client-directed goal setting, and employer-based health fairs, she focused on worksite wellness programming to reduce the incidence of obesity, hypertension and pre-diabetes in her adult clients.
In early 2007, she set-up and managed a new employer-based family and employee health clinic in Franklin, Kentucky, with University Community Health Service of VUSN, before becoming full-time faculty in August, 2009.
Dr. Hendrix considers teaching nursing students to be a privilege and is passionate about encouraging students to become conscientious, compassionate and critical thinking change agents, who will provide holistic, highest quality, safe, and effective care to patients in hospitals, while transitioning them to home, or within their community.
- DNP, Frontier Nursing University
- MSN, Vanderbilt University (Family Nurse Practitioner)
- BSN, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center
Current Research/Scholarly Interests
- Motivational Interviewing and Goal Setting in Health Promotion
- Workplace Wellness in Smaller Employer Settings (fewer than 100 employees)
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration and Transitional Care team building
- Nursing care of adults with multiple comorbidities
- Pre-Specialty Professional Series: Evidence Based Nursing Practice and Leadership and Management
- Community Health Nursing improves self-care concerns for elder adults in a lower-income residential facility.
- Medical/Surgical Nursing focus on patient-centered care of individuals with numerous co-morbid, life-threatening illnesses on a Cardiac Step-down unit or Hematology-Oncology unit
- ANCC Certified Family Nurse Practitioner; licensed APRN in Tennessee and Kentucky
- Sigma Theta Tau, International Nursing Honor Society, Member since 1983
Iota Chapter ? President 2014-2016
Kappa Theta Chapter- Charter member, Past President 1987-89 and 1998-2000; Treasurer 1984
- American Nurses Association - Member since 1981; Advisory Committee- Professional Issues in Workplace Violence and Incivility, 2014-2015
- Kentucky Nurses Association-Member since 1981, and affiliate member of the Tennessee Nurses Association
- Kentucky Coalition of Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Midwives- Research Committee, 2013-2015
- Kentucky Primary Care Association?Member since 1998; Advanced Practice Nurse Representative 1999-2010