The purpose of this article is to explain how to create a fill in the blanks question in the Brightspace Quiz tool.
As a best practice, D2L recommends that answers in blank fields be no more than one or two words to ensure auto-grading accuracy. Your listed order of blank and text fields corresponds with the sequence displayed to users.
An FIB question’s maximum point value is reflected by a 100% weight. As a best practice, the combined weight of your answers should equal 100%. If your FIB question has multiple blank fields and each blank field has several possible answers, D2L recommends the combined weight of each blank field’s most correct answer equals 100%.
- Question Setup
- Create Question
- Question Hint (optional)
- Question Feedback (optional)
- Video: Creating Fill in the Blanks Questions
Choose question type
- Navigate to the new question page from a specific quiz or the Question Library
Fill in the Blanks Question (FIB)
Enter question details
- Enter a title for your question (optional)
- Enter Points allotted (this can be edited later if you are unsure)
- Select Difficulty level (optional)
Insert an Imageif you want to add an image to the question, and provide a Description for it (optional)
Create question text. The default format for a FIB question is text blank text.
- Start by entering your question Text.
- In Blank #1 enter the answer in the Answer column (click
Check Answersto see your entered text)
- To assign more possible answers for the blank, click
- Assign a Weight to each answer
- Select the Evaluation method: Text, Case-Sensitive Text, or Regular Expression
- Click to delete unwanted text or blanks
Previewto see a how the question will appear
Question Hint (optional)
Expand question hint
- Enter Question Hint
TIP: In order for students to see the hint when taking the quiz, Allow hints must be enabled on the Properties tab.
Question Feedback (optional)
Expand question feedback
- Enter Question Feedback text